Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Quite a few guys go out of their way to keep their sh*t off the radar.
    I never posted a recent kill and never will, always wait a few years or when I've abandoned an area
    But you DO share!!
    And for that we're thankful!

That's my point .... The guys who hunt 200"+ bucks are the ones that should be posting the most, as far as spreading the knowledge goes. Totally understandable for not wanting to post your alpine buck from 2017 in 2018, but i have a feeling we'll never see that buck or hear the story. (I could be wrong, just my feeling based on WKCotts participation).

Anyways, if you guys want quality hunting/fishing content without much of a write-up, Instagram can't be beat. I joined in December and wish i had joined sooner. So many great bucks and bulls from Canada and the US its nuts. Lots of local hunters as well. Lots of guys who no longer post on HBC, too.

Great buck Ourea ... always love seeing that pic!

Ive looked at that pic for hours and i just cant pinpoint the mountain it was shot on. I do have a therory on dark antlers and if there tall or wide but the cooler in the bottom left of the living room is throwing me off.........
    Hunting the promised land

That picture was shot with an unethical weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    But you DO share!!
    And for that we're thankful!

That's my point .... The guys who hunt 200"+ bucks are the ones that should be posting the most, as far as spreading the knowledge goes. Totally understandable for not wanting to post your alpine buck from 2017 in 2018, but i have a feeling we'll never see that buck or hear the story. (I could be wrong, just my feeling based on WKCotts participation).

Great buck Ourea ... always love seeing that pic!
    Ourea has been very inspiratonal. His white tail thread is awesome. I've had the pleasure of talking/texting with him and he's sent me some pics of unbelievable animals. But I've also honoured his request not to show them to other people.

most guys with the knowledge and experience to find and kill 180"+ bucks, 365"+ bulls and 180"+ rams are the most tight lipped people I've ever known. There is reason for that........you start telling people where your seeing decent genetics and the area gets over run by idiots trying to find the big deer, elk or whatever. I've personally never shot anything with big enough antlers to consider it huge. I hunt for the enjoyment of being in the outdoors and filling my freezer, but .......I've given lots of pointers to people on this site for east kootenay elk, goats and sheep in the elk valley. Why do I offer advice......because it's who I am, always willing to help. But I also know areas where I live that are more prone to holding better antler genetics and those are the areas that I don't tell everyone about.

Back to to op.
    For the hunter that just doesnt have the time to learn how to read the area like dana mentioned earlier in this thread. Setting out a bunch of trail cams will tell you if your wasting your time or not. You might also be surprised what you might take a pic of. I set a cam up in region 8 by a lick that i found and kept getting picks of two 6 point bull elk. They were in and out like clockwork all season long.

What about the hunter who doesn't know where to even put up cameras?

Thats a whole other thread. But usually it is not to hard. Funnel points and ridgetops for me.
    Think like a deer.

Sites like these, magazines, books, and other hunters are available to everyone - not to mention Google Earth, which was not available to many of us. Initiative is the key word for me. I will help a guy who shows initiative and can tell me what they have found so far but not someone who just wants free info. Oh, don't forget wearing out some boots checking for tracks and such.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Sites like these, magazines, books, and other hunters are available to everyone - not to mention Google Earth, which was not available to many of us. Initiative is the key word for me. I will help a guy who shows initiative and can tell me what they have found so far but not someone who just wants free info. Oh, don't forget wearing out some boots checking for tracks and such.
    Exactly!!! I'll point a newbie in the right direction if they are keen to learn. I'll also help out someone that wants to step up the game to the next level if they have enough desire and initiative. But so many just want a free lunch. They want a guarenteed big buck without the work. Sorry, that ain't how it works.

Then why are you on a public internet forum at all?

You guys are forgetting one giant, huge point here ..... MANY bc hunters are posting all types of success stories and pics on Instagram. They're not giving anything away. A pic of a buck dead on the ground or stuffed in a pack gives nothing away. Goats, bucks, bears, sheep ...... you name it. They're just not posting it on HERE. Basically, if you're not willing to post pics, Instagram has no use for you. And that's what I like about it. No lurkers who never contribute.

I mean if you want to stay off the radar .... why are you on here at all? Just for the buy and sell?
    Instagram has a pile of lurkers. Way more than here for sure and it is one of the easier places to put the pieces of the puzzle together for those who are into that. No arguing there's a ton of content that gets shared on there and seems to be the way many people are going.

As Wild One said, some guys hunt for personal reasons and are simply content to keep their kills to themselves. Can't blame 'em.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."