Thread: Vavenby to North Barriere Lake

Vavenby to North Barriere Lake

We’re looking at hunting the first week of October in the area between Vavenby and North Barriere Lake. We’re looking for a spot to set up a wall tent to call home. I thought Saskum Lake looked viable but found a notice the site is inaccessible due to slide: Saskum Lake FSRClosed at 27.5km until further notice due to landslide. Can anyone provide any intel on this route, can you point out the coordinates of 27.5k on Saskum Lake FSR, or can you help point me in the direction of another decent camp spot?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tyyota; 08-18-2018 at 08:57 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vavenby to North Barriere Lake

The road is washed out approximately half way between north barriere lake road and saskum lake. If you come from the north(Vavenby side) you should be able to access the Saskum lake campsite. I am surprised to find out the road is still washed out as they were doing some work to fix it a couple months back. I have a cabin at north barriere lake. I haven't actually checked the condition of the washout since earlier this summer though.

Thank you for that. This is helpful. There is a very small lake up on the Vavenby side on the side of the road called Avery Lake. It doesn’t look too accessible but can anybody tell me if this might be a spot to set up a wall tent camp?? It’d be nice to have a water source nearby.
    Thanks

I was working up there a couple of weeks ago, and three trucks pulling trailers came through from the South. It's narrow and bumpy but passable via the North Lakes Rd to Saskum despite what the signs say. There is another small washout past the first one that you can get though too. Thick bush and tough country to hunt though, can't stand ICH.

Hunted up there for the first time last year in September. Saw one good 4point with some does on the vavenby side of harp, but try and chase them, good luck. Blue berry bushes up to your armpits. Saw a few good black bears too. Easier hiking up top in the alpine, roads can get you right up top.