Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What killed this Buck?

What killed this Buck?

Found him today, he would have been a huge Buck in the coming years.

Whatever got him jumped on him while he was bedded, found the bed with hair and followed a struggle trail and the struggle only went 15 yards.... quick kill.

My instinct tells me Lion, as what looks like the paunch is sitting outside of the carcass uneaten. Mountain Lions always pull the guts out of Big game animals and do not eat them so I have heard. Also the carcass is neat and intact, legs still attatched no pieces of carcass here and there.

I spent a ton of time here when the season closed and we had big snow depths (for here) last winter to try and learn more about these Deer and their travelling. Never saw one cat track, but would be naive to think they weren't around. Seen lot's of Bear and Coyotes.

What are your thoughts? Lion or Coyote or.....

Here he is last month on T-cam

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What killed this Buck?

I'd wager lion too. Dang dude you're on fire being all over these BT's in your area there. Good job, maybe grab a cougar tag if you don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I'd wager lion too. Dang dude you're on fire being all over these BT's in your area there. Good job, maybe grab a cougar tag if you don't have one.
    That's what i'm thinking. I'm going to grab one tomorrow!!

Kind of sucks here I was thinking this place was Cat free (if it was a Cat), glad I came across it though.

I'd bet on cat too...if there's food (deer) the preds will eventually follow unfortunately...I'm on an area right now (not blacktail) where the deer in the area changed up their habits at the same time I noticed fresh cat tracks in the area - coincidence?

Something I forgot to ask if anyone knows, are Mountain Lions nomadic and they just move to where the feed is? kind of spending their whole lives on the move? or kind of stick to a general (albeit large) area as long as there is feed?

I’m in maple ridge as well. Not sure if your hunting close but this year I’m finding lots of large cat tracks around Stave lake, harrison and chehalis while I’ve been at work or hunting. Very healthy population right now. Wish I had the room for hounds at my house, would be fun to chase a few cats.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I'd bet on cat too...if there's food (deer) the preds will eventually follow unfortunately...I'm on an area right now (not blacktail) where the deer in the area changed up their habits at the same time I noticed fresh cat tracks in the area - coincidence?
    Yeah sucks, the coyote's here are numerous and I had a Doe in summer on cam with only 1 fawn. I suspect she started with two, then as the weeks went on she would show up without the one fawn she had. Was sh***y to see.

I am going to do strictly coyote hunts in this area.

I bet nothing gets them on edge like a Lion

Bigfoot for sure

​Cat . . .

I'm going with cat too, dragged to cover, neck torn open, mostly intact bones, a lion will eat the heart lungs and liver quick but not the stomach or intestine
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC