Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lillooet City Council Not Concerned about Destroying the Alpine

Re: Lillooet City Council Not Concerned about Destroying the Alpine

Jeff77 hit it with the range lands. For years cows have been destroying the hell out of the alpine etc. Having said that, maybe there should be a mountain range set aside for unfettered ATV etc use. Let people go crazy, then restrict the rest of it, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    It has to happen but every time this happens , everyone just lost. No win here when social licence turns on you. Piss off quad riders or mnt bikers guess who is going for your horses?. And they have a lot of ammo. Goats and Camelids first step. We need allies not enemies. 
    Have to put environment first.

Education/enforcement are the keys but that takes money.... where does the money come from? .....no one wants a tax even if it is to promote their own interests..... what's left??
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff77 View Post
    How bout close it off for cattle too .. 100 cows living up in the I frequent have destroyed the alpine ...like I mean torn to hell..
    So before they worry so much about me going up there they should stop the cattle first
    Horses and cows do more damage to all the alpine I've ever hunted. I totally agree with you.
    Hunting the promised land

Well, it looks like we all can agree that ORV's and livestock damage alpine, especially if they are attracted with salt. What are the solutions? I will stand with GG on this and say, funding, education, and enforcement are our top priorities. How do we get that? Go speak with your MLA.....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Yup Jeff 77 hit the nail on the head. Friggen cattle destroy vast alpine areas. I used to hunt Hogback Mtn for years until the cattle almost wiped out the Alpine.Hey I enjoy a good beef steak but not at the expense of what used to be a great Mule Deer Range!!

Have a peak out around sugar and mable lakes... 100km circle around douglas lake ranch, west kelowna. East kelowna, christian valley.

its going on eveywhere. Half these places hardly even see dirtbike/atv traffic anywhere but on the main roads and spurs. Yet damn near every one of these drainages is crawling with cows. Not a word is said.

i hiked up to twin lakes on northfork fsr, just past cherryville. Cows in the basins on the pinnacles.. Wtf are they doin up there? Why?
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman76 View Post
    Jeff77 hit it with the range lands. For years cows have been destroying the hell out of the alpine etc. Having said that, maybe there should be a mountain range set aside for unfettered ATV etc use. Let people go crazy, then restrict the rest of it, just a thought.

Yes, livestock compromise valuable habitats and are an intentionally overlooked source of impacts from riparian areas to valley bottom grasslands to alpine meadows.

NO! We do not need to give the ATVers a stitch of alpine given that they already have every backroad in the god damn province to burn around on, they already transcend every gate and deactivation created to try to preclude motorized access, they are already present within every motor-vehicle closure.

I enjoy responsible ATVing as much as the next guy, but they're everywhere now. Get them out of sensitive habitats and devote the C & E resources to keep them out. Increase contravention penalties. I'd love to see the implementation of an initiative where the Crown seizes and liquidates any equipment used in the contravention of ORV closure regulations. The councillor from Lillooet would have a friiggin bird!
    Last edited by Looking_4_Jerky; 12-07-2016 at 01:17 AM.