Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: traditional bow hunting advice

Re: traditional bow hunting advice

Quote Originally Posted by r_haines View Post
    I would like to get into traditional bow hunting and i just would like to know what you recomend to start with. ive always shot a compound but want a challenge to my hunting season.
    I shoot a 50lb recurve instinctively but will probably try out the fixed crawl for a consistent sight window as explained in The Push (below). For your background and your desire to go traditional, this is the best video that I have seen - very comprehensive and insightful; while long, it is worth watching. Enjoy: The Push (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs)

First two caveats I don't bow hunt nor am I a good archer. But making bows and arrows are another topic near and dear. I have made a few stick and fiberglass bows and a lots of arrows. The traditional bowyer's bibles series is an invaluable resource on truly understanding what makes a bow tick. Then there are tons of internet resources out there to confuse you further. Its not that difficult to make a bow that will fling an arrow, it is difficult to make a bow that will fling an arrow truly excellently. Arrow making is its own challenge all together. Making arrows from bought shafts is easy, spine, sort and assemble. Making your own shafts is a little more challenging. Cutting, drying, spining, and straitening your own bamboo or cane shafts is a laborious art form (but it makes one of the toughest natural shafts you will ever see).

What I have learned is that heavy draw weights (50#+ on your fingers) is quite unnecessary these days with modern bows, limb design and composition and carbon arrows and good broad heads and I have seen a shift from very high profile & accomplished hunters now using manageable bows, even the ones they are hitting the 3Ds with as they know them and are consistent with them. They are not shooting the Hill style longbow anymore and they recognise this.
    I have had deer pass thrus with bows in the lower 40#s (at 28" - my draw in longer) but I have it seen documented (Stateside - NOT BC!) that weights down to 30# are successfully used.
    Not surprisingly people have studied bows from both ancient and current hunter gatherers. Almost uniformly they find that tribesmen use much lighter weight bows than we would initially think for hunting. Most often they were short bows in the 50 lbs or lighter class. Man sized higher draw weight bows were used for war. Bows used in modern target archery tradition are often based on bows used for war as that was the dominant use of archery tackle for us historically. But tens of thousands of years can attest that small light weight bows can make meat if you have the skill to use them and razor sharp broadheads.

Where abouts are you located r_haines?

i am in maple ridge. i am originally from the west kootneays. i just moved here

Attend the Abbotsford Indoor 3-d event mid Jan . Much to see and learn , look me up if you wish .
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

do you need to shoot to attend ? i dont have a recurve but i still shoot my compound. i wouldnt mind meeting some friends down here with the same interests and hobbys.

Lots of good info and advice. Beware of walking into an archery shop and assume they know that much about Trad hunting and Trad gear. I've had to tune and reset-up a lot of local bows because guys walked into the local archery shop -which sells trad bows- and walk out with a bow that's not set up, and with arrows that are way off the spine mark . Great advice to go to the 3d shoot and ask lots of questions !

[QUOTE=TDHunter;1855446]Lots of good info and advice. Beware of walking into an archery shop and assume they know that much about Trad hunting and Trad gear. I've had to tune and reset-up a lot of local bows because guys walked into the local archery shop -which sells trad bows- and walk out with a bow that's not set up, and with arrows that are way off the spine mark . Great advice to go to the 3d shoot and ask lots of questions ![/QUOTE

That is so true , the concept of no money in Trad gear (no or low interest) may change with the increase of Traditional archers .

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

[QUOTE=greybark;1855586]
    Quote Originally Posted by TDHunter View Post
    Lots of good info and advice. Beware of walking into an archery shop and assume they know that much about Trad hunting and Trad gear. I've had to tune and reset-up a lot of local bows because guys walked into the local archery shop -which sells trad bows- and walk out with a bow that's not set up, and with arrows that are way off the spine mark . Great advice to go to the 3d shoot and ask lots of questions ![/QUOTE

That is so true , the concept of no money in Trad gear (no or low interest) may change with the increase of Traditional archers .
    I doubt it Ken,

Here the thing (and from retailing a bit myself) Traddies ARE cheap, most of them are at least and possibly one of the reasons they walk this path.

The black white of it…...

Traditional Guy:

Bow (So, if I buy a Sage I will never have to upgrade?)
    Arrows (can I use dowels?)
    finger protection (which is cheaper?)
    something for your arrows (although back pocket works)
    Arm guard (do I really need that?)
    T. Square (It's alright, I have a ruler in the shop)
    String wax (It's fine, I don't wash my ears so good)
    bow stringer (don't worry, I'll make one from an old ratchet strap)

Wheelie bow guy:

Bow
    Arrows
    arrow rest
    stabiliser
    wrist sling
    sight
    peep
    release
    bow quiver
    belt quiver
    box case
    tools & maintenance
    string wax
    chair (for in-between shots)
    Book (for in-between shots)

Etc

and then the upgrades and whatever the joneses have.

It's the peripheries that the stores make the money out of and there is nothing in it anyway. They SHOULD do more but rarely do and why we started our previous venture in the first place- frustration.
    Doing only traditional stuff only makes you friends and debt, the compound boys and girls keep shops afloat

Key word in my post is "may" . LOL . You are right to a certain extent . LOL .
    Cheers , Katie please get him a hot rum !!!!!!

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC