Thread: Firth lake access

Firth lake access

Can anyone comment on the road conditions in to Firth off the 97 north of Bear lake?
    I've got a stock diesel 4x4 with good tires, ideally I'd like to drag my tin can up there on a trailer to launch.. I've got a bull draw in that area and it looks like lots of water to get around there to explore the shoreline.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Firth lake access

Will be at Junkers tomorrow, half mile from you. I would not take a trailer down to Firth, she's steep and a tight turn after a bad bridge you have to cross. Been up and down that road a few weeks ago, one lane wide going down plus a couple washouts to get through.

Is there still a cabin to stay in somewhere out off the lake. 26 years ago we caught 3lb bows all day!! Lots of big dollies in the crooked/angus mac as well. Nate

The cabin is straight across at the far side of the lake, reasonably clean for sleeping in. Lots of small trout to catch, be lucky to get anything over 2 lbs though. There is a shot up jeep at the bottom of the hill next to the lake.

Not a chance I'd take a trailer down that hill, if it's at all wet it's greasy as shit!! Firth and Junkers used to be my top few lakes for Bows but the size has really dropped off! Had a few nasty encounters with Griz in there also, keep your eyes open. Good luck, K

Jonkers was good last time I was in there.. Couple months ago, working leach patterns, and float tubin.. End of last summer my partner in crime banged out a 5.5 ibs slab... Beauty fish in there..... Further up is a little pond where the fish are srarving, need a quad to get in... Prett dicey but worthy they hit any thing and everything even pots and pans hahaha this. Pond is like 4 k and to big ass wash out s

There's a cabin right across from the launch at Firth just left of entrance to the channel you want to hunt behind the cabin. Long channel, nice grass shores and moose galore. Lots of room for you and the folks at cabin. Good bulls in there to call off Aspen hillsides to the shores. Slowly drift or simply set up with vantage point.

Take a fly rod!!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

If you don't have a winch on your truck I wouldn't even entertain going down into Firth. One rainful and you might be stuck there for a week.

Thanks for the advice and warnings guys.