Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooter or not?

Re: Shooter or not?

Quote Originally Posted by notyalc View Post
    I would personally only shoot a doe that had no fawns around. I’m not desperate enough to shoot a fawn or a doe with fawns around.
    Has little if anything to do with desperation, its all about legal and ethical IMHO. If a guys desperate they likely wont have tags or be on the net seeking advice!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Has little if anything to do with desperation, its all about legal and ethical IMHO. If a guys desperate they likely wont have tags or be on the net seeking advice!!
    Steelco is right...at least in my case..desperation has nothing to do with my hunting..i ,ll be very happy about 30lb excellent bamby meat..we don't eat that much of venison....my wiffey hardly any..my motto is..quality..not quantity..some hunters has big families ..so need is big too.i understand that...not mine....sometimes if I shoot bigger deer .. ended up giving away most of it..and paying that around $dollar /per lb for butcher.. ...small deer I butcher my self..
    ...ethically shooting a bamby is fine with me,,,,especially if mama deer has 2 bambies,,usually another one is not making through the winter...each of us has his own way of hunting...

Antler less seasons are put in place to reduce the herd size so the carrying capacity of the wintering grounds is not exceeded. From a management point of view, just shoot an antlerless dear (any) and be happy.

It’s a very personal thing. If it’s legal, then the morals/ethics are up to the individual. I probably wouldn’t shoot a doe in the company of smaller fawns, but if there are 3 more or less full size does together, I wouldn’t have an issue with it. I hunt to feed my family, but quality is of a prime concern too. A young doe is going to be much nicer eating than a big buck!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Personal choice for me is to only shoot lone does if I take an antlerless. Milky does is more to clean up to prevent spoilage and I personally would rather leave does to teach fawns as long as possible. A fawn maybe be able to survive but they are sure dumb if solo young

Like I said it’s a personal choice you make your own call what is right by your own standards

I wouldnt shoot any antlerless deer but that being said a lone doe would be the way to go if you are going to
    shoot antlerless deer.

Myself I don't have moral problem with shooting does, because I understand why the Fish and Wildlife alot a certain number of LEH's for does in specific areas, it's to maintain buck to doe ratio's in that specific area, you don't want too many does for X amount of bucks. That said, I have shot lone does on LEH permits but I won't shoot a doe with one or more fawns. Because then you're killing more than one deer very unlikely those fawns would survive, and those fawns could be buck fawns. I don't need the meat that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Myself I don't have moral problem with shooting does, because I understand why the Fish and Wildlife alot a certain number of LEH's for does in specific areas, it's to maintain buck to doe ratio's in that specific area, you don't want too many does for X amount of bucks.
    This follows my line of thinking too. I have little faith on 99% of Govt policy, but if the animals are in any sort of crisis, there won’t be a GOS or LEH for them.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Myself I don't have moral problem with shooting does, because I understand why the Fish and Wildlife alot a certain number of LEH's for does in specific areas, it's to maintain buck to doe ratio's in that specific area, you don't want too many does for X amount of bucks. That said, I have shot lone does on LEH permits but I won't shoot a doe with one or more fawns. Because then you're killing more than one deer very unlikely those fawns would survive, and those fawns could be buck fawns. I don't need the meat that bad.
    Might not want to put too much faith in BC’s management keeping track of buck vs doe ratio’s. Many MU’s can go a long time without a proper count. The recent reduction in annual mule deer limit was do to many MU’s falling short on bucks resulting in poor ratios.

Unfortanatly BC does not have proper funding to collect solid data on its game populations often resulting in poor management. This is part of the reason many BC game populations are on the decline

A lot of BC’s management is political/social with a little science thrown in

When i had doe tags or my wife did i was lucky enough to shoot does out of a feild that had not had babys for years