Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in snow storm at Redfern - Need urgent help

Re: Stuck in snow storm at Redfern - Need urgent help

We should spin off a thread on trail clearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    We should spin off a thread on trail clearing.
    were you like me thinking how snarled wet/snowy alders and a machete are a bad combo....heheheheh

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Champs,

This thread has really bugged me since I first read it, not because your wife did anything wrong but because there was a lot more armchair quarterbacking and sh*tposting than actual help from the hunting community.

I think your wife played her hand pretty well. It is arguable whether 'urgent help' was a good choice of words but everything else was well done:
    - she reached out to the hunting community to see if any help was nearby. I get good cell reception where I camp to access Redfern so I think there was a pretty fair chance someone in a position to help would have received the message.
    - when people started responding with 'Call SAR' she kept a cool head and communicated with you to determine whether or not that was necessary and she made the right call by not calling in the calvary.
    - when morons on here started saying stupid things about your level of preparation she didn't engage. My wife would have ended up in jail.

I think your wife deserves some flowers and a nice dinner.

I know the area pretty well and know what a summer snowstorm can do. I think you and your son handled the situation as well as you could have. Bushcraft isn't about always having the right tools and gear, it is about making the best of what you have.

I think you are 100% correct on all points.
    Me being one of the "Call in the cavalry" .. I did so based off the word urgent. She did have communication, and she did handle it correct.. but to me "Urgent" meant something in that communication asked for it.
    me being a coastal guy Timeline deviation is an "Act now" thing.

just this month my dad and his friend were fishing Nootka. The one guy accidently gave the wrong day they would be back.. ( old guys had just messed up )
    These 2 guys are not new to fishing... when they were late we got worried. After a few hours we called the RCMP to check the lot where the truck parks.... it was there.
    We then got in touch with the coast guard... it turns out, there was an Emergency the coast guard was dealing with and dads friend who is a retired Dr was Assisting on..
    They were "Found" and dads friend got a strip torn off him by his wife for giving the wrong day......

Moral is..... Guys like Albrovo who have experience in an area are better equipped to answer a call like this. And in this case it was correct.
    And it explains the variation in responses...

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    were you like me thinking how snarled wet/snowy alders and a machete are a bad combo....heheheheh
    I've been there and I have done that. It doesn't matter what the tool you're using, you're going to get wet. Of course you'd know that if you got out of the armchair, right?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I've been there and I have done that. It doesn't matter what the tool you're using, you're going to get wet. Of course you'd know that if you got out of the armchair, right?
    im talking about the risks of swinging a machete at tough vegetation when you are tired and wet...something you profess to know about ...as do I.... but some others might not....when you get out of your armchair do you prefer a machete or a brush axe?

I would think twice about asking for help on this site with all the judgmental arm chair idiots scolding me for seeking help .All i can say is i am total disappointed with the bickering, scolding and hollier than thou comments .
    Is this what we are all about ?Come on !

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    D6 4 blades wide. Perfect tool.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    D6 4 blades wide. Perfect tool.
    Now your talkin my lingo! We have a road that goes around the mill. We call it the back forty. It has our resident population of cow elk and doe/fawn mulies. I regularily keep the road open with my 980K, so I can visit the ladies!! moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

It used to be just Jizzmine that used to be the resident knob, seems times have changed and have multiplied
    Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    I would think twice about asking for help on this site with all the judgmental arm chair idiots scolding me for seeking help .All i can say is i am total disappointed with the bickering, scolding and hollier than thou comments .

and to clarify, I’m in total agreement with your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post