Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge modified choke shot size for grouse

Re: 12 gauge modified choke shot size for grouse

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    What choke?
    I shoot an o/u so top is modified bottom is improved

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Sounds great!! Let us know how it goes this weekend!!!
    Will do! Should be fun. If work lets me off anyway. I want to take Monday off but it's a bit crazy... down some staff, trying to hire a couple guys and got one guy out with medical issues... if he doesn't come back this week I might have to cover the weekend. If all goes well, it will be the one weekend of the year I can sync up with my brother for a hunt. Figure we whack some birdies during the day but also considering going after the bear I saw last weekend. I've been thinking about him. Younger looking bear, nice coat and full of berries... sooo tempting. Anything could happen.

with my old shotgun I used to shoot 71/2 mod choke for grouse...I would use #6 for early ducks and #4 for later in the season when the ducks had thicker feathers...sometimes a few #6 would end up getting used for grouse but I would usually have a 71/2 in the tube with a #6 second or third one out (longer shot in flight)

pretty simple 6 or 7.5
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I ended up buying a variety (#5, #6 and #7.5) in varying weights and velocity. I'll see what I like best. It will probably be the #5 this time (1 1/8oz, 1200fps) around but I think my ideal load would be a #6 1oz 1200fps... they just didn't have any this time around.

Being easy on the ears (don't always get my plugs in) and not too many pellets in the breast (using #4 1oz 1200fps didn't get pellets in the breast half the time and when I did it was 1 or 2 max... only complaint was missing completely sometimes) is what I'm after. I have enough pockets, so might as well experiment

Full choke 7.5 to the head. #6 if farther out and I get right pocket.
    Last edited by SSG-man; 10-11-2018 at 11:33 PM.

The #5 seemed to work pretty good. I popped 3 of them. One on the ground, one in a tree and winged another.

I missed a couple though which was frustrating. One on the ground... was waiting for him to walk out from behind a tree... saw the head poke out and went for it. Should have waited longer. Another I have no excuse for. He was just chilling on 4 the o'clock sun oblivious to me. I took a shot from around 25 yards with the #5, miss. He didn't even move. Ran back to the jeep and grabbed a 6 and 7.5. Jacked in the 6 and he was onto me. Took another shot and he flew into a tree close by. Jacked in a 7.5 and took another shot, then he flew way off. No idea what the heck happened. Took my time and thought I had him lined up perfectly. I picture a grouse shaped gap in the shot pattern on all sizes or he had some kind of body armor lol

How does one miss 3x with a scatter gun and 7.5? Elmer Fudd here!!

Lmao right now my grandpa used to say grouse were wearing flack jackets all the time if he missed

Wow caddisguy i really enjoy all your posts but i think you are seriously overthinking the situation! Hunting ditch chicken isn't a science. Just grab whatever shells are handy or rolling around in the glove box and pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Lmao right now my grandpa used to say grouse were wearing flack jackets all the time if he missed
    Lol ya I figure once they are alive and didn't even flinch after the first one, might as well walk away... you know they got some kind of horse shoes. Wished I had that ordeal on camera... not that I'd never ever post it, but for my own amusement