Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Re: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Hands down one of the favorite hunt I ever been on. Got a 6 pack just laughing at night, and Rupp can rap guys don’t let him fool you...

Quote Originally Posted by bc_buckshot View Post
    Hands down one of the favorite hunt I ever been on. Got a 6 pack just laughing at night, and Rupp can rap guys don’t let him fool you...
    Hmmmm lol..congrads on your first moose Chris..it was incredibly difficult weather, non co operative moose..im sure all including me thought it would be easier..thanks for keeping the faith Chris and not bailing ..it was challenging however I knew we could get it done..and we..more importantly you got it done..sorry for not being physically able to do so many things..thank you that you were willing and could.enjoy your sheep artwork.

Feel free Chris to add your views..insights..finishing travel trailer cleanup in AM then will share the adventure in words.
    Cheers
    Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 10-14-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Congrats to your Moose Mafia hunting friends Steven !
    Would be interesting to hear or try that KC Magnum call . I have called using bare hands and also birch bark call purchased at Canadian Tire and had luck with both ways . But one is always looking for a better mouse trap I mean Moose trap !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Congrats to your Moose Mafia hunting friends Steven !
    Would be interesting to hear or try that KC Magnum call . I have called using bare hands and also birch bark call purchased at Canadian Tire and had luck with both ways . But one is always looking for a better mouse trap I mean Moose trap !
    Arctic Lake
    I too have used my hands cupped to my mouth for over 25 years..a fellow hunter recomended th KC MAGNUM..I personally think its wickedly effective..I 100 % recomend it as a tremendous improvement over my traditional method.as I said resonance. .tone..and volume all is enhanced by this fibreglass call..sounds like tge real thing.
    Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    I too have used my hands cupped to my mouth for over 25 years..a fellow hunter recomended th KC MAGNUM..I personally think its wickedly effective..I 100 % recomend it as a tremendous improvement over my traditional method.as I said resonance. .tone..and volume all is enhanced by this fibreglass call..sounds like tge real thing.
    Cheers
    Steven
    Good to know ! Thanks Steven !
    Arctic Lake

Another moose hunt in the books for Steven and gang!!!

Congrats on the hunters and their moose, some good times!! Thanks for bringing us along!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Thank you, sir.
    Using a Milwaukie 20 volt cordless recip saw with 12 inch bi metal 5 tpi deconstruction blade..hair left on lower edges of quarters.
    The photo of the meat was after hanging. .but prior to final clean up..so washed in 70 percent vinegar 30 percent water..cleans up to shine on bones.then bagged in Yukon game bags .

It was hung under tarps..no sun on meat..reduces temp fluctuation..tarps allowed air movement..
    The temperature was -- 9 at night and + 6 during day.meat will be awesome.we took an animals life we have a responibility to utulize it all..and keep its taste , flavour, tenderness as good as we can..
    I try andhelp new hunters..but I also practice what I preach.
    Cheers
    Steven
    That saw would be handy. An old timer here could split one with an axe so slick it looked nearly like a saw had done it. I used two axes, one sharp one to cut and another to hit the first with. It worked fine.

I use an 110 volt recip saw for beef..... and panhead’s moose.

Did you have a fly problem? I never use anything to clean up my butchering jobs unless they are. Have been told by a meat cutter that washing reduces hanging life. I prefer beef and what wild game we have eaten to hang at proper temp for a minimum of 10 days. Each to their own.

You might ask panhead what a fussy sob I am when it comes to meat! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    That saw would be handy. An old timer here could split one with an axe so slick it looked nearly like a saw had done it. I used two axes, one sharp one to cut and another to hit the first with. It worked fine.

I use an 110 volt recip saw for beef..... and panhead’s moose.

Did you have a fly problem? I never use anything to clean up my butchering jobs unless they are. Have been told by a meat cutter that washing reduces hanging life. I prefer beef and what wild game we have eaten to hang at proper temp for a minimum of 10 days. Each to their own.

You might ask panhead what a fussy sob I am when it comes to meat! LOL
    You are correct..if only one moose nothing needed..however with one moose down and one to go. .one doesnt know how long that second one will take?..hence the 70/30 vinegar wash to clean and reduce the ph level.no we did not have flies or bugs after the snow. .and the temperatures plumeted..kept meat well chilled.on fly in hunts we substitute citric acid powder and bottled water.
    I cant taste any difference after the hanging cutting process.nothing wrong with being a fussy SOB..it helps with the final product.
    Steven

Congratulations on a successful hunt! Thank for sharing your hunting trip story and photos Steve. Glad to hear you all survived the cold weather. I'm heading out for a 6 day hunt late November up around Gold River. Hopefully this year our batteries dont die and we freeze to death like last year..lol

Photos have been posted...the events will be printed out over the next few days I hope.
    We used solar panels during the day..then generator for a couple hours each night..kept the furnace fan going..and that damned cold....brrrrrrrrrrr
    Good luck.li will be in Alberta with Susan on trophy mule deer hunt along the Alberta / Sask. Border. As well as general whitetail season
    Steven