Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Ole Copper vs. Lead Debate

Re: The Ole Copper vs. Lead Debate

My personal observation on game animals that I've shot is that mono bullets don't kill as quickly as lead copper bullets.

Not saying I don't use them (as they are very accurate in some of my rifles) but overall, one on one, they don't kill as quickly...just my observations though

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    My personal observation on game animals that I've shot is that mono bullets don't kill as quickly as lead copper bullets.

Not saying I don't use them (as they are very accurate in some of my rifles) but overall, one on one, they don't kill as quickly...just my observations though
    Agreed. I'd prefer if they expanded more.

Impact velocity ~2500fps, broke both humeri.

However, it's nice to eat lead free burgers.

I've shot barnes and now shoot the Accubond. I prefer the performance of a bonded bullet, that being said it doesn't matter shot placement is everything.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

https://gungoals.com/how-to-sight-in...e-at-25-yards/
    try this on your gun see how it responds

Hold on there. Getting 3000 fps out of an -06 with 150 gr bullets is about all you'll get. Careful not to step in the bs. Velocity does not come free. Typically the higher the velocity, the higher the pressures. Anything over 3000 fps with 150 gr bullets in an -06 is close to or at max pressures, possibly above. Which means you may be stretching the metal of your rifle's action, which means a rifle with minimum headspace may develop more headspace, or worse develop excess headspace. When that happens, the blow from the firing pin becomes inconsistent, meaning accuracy suffers. Worst case, the pressures are too high because of the powders you chose.

Factory ammo is all loaded to SAAMI specs. Zero the rifle at 250 yds and you will hit anything out to 300 yds and a few yds to spare with that point blank range. Past 300 yds, learn how to compensate for drop.

If you're still researching new bullets, I'd highly recommend Hammer bullets. They are solid copper, but designed around a different theory then the typical Barnes style copper. I've been using them for 3 years in multiple calibers and they are fantastic. I've completely converted all of my hunting rifles to them. Do some research into them, you won't be disappointed. Bonus is they are the easiest bullet I've done load development for. I've found sub MOA hunting loads in under 10 shots fired. They're in the US, but ship to Canada.