Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Warnniklz 2014 Cariboo Hunt

Re: Warnniklz 2014 Cariboo Hunt

So half hour later, the plane was liaded up and ready to ho. We were off! The flight was quite relaxing and had a super smooth landing. We had our gear unloaded in no time and the plane was off. We were greeted by two really nice camp host. Gave us the run down. The old guy kept telling us about hot showers on sight. I think he was trying to keep us from hoing up. It had already been a week since I showered.... so the temptation didn't even phase me.

We dropped what gear we didn't need in the cook house, got geared up and hit the trail.

We figured we'd get some final shots for the milk carton

So we started down the trail. What bullsh!t that was. Horse trail, marked, no devils club or sting nettle and no bushwacking?

We were only part way up the trail and RFF was losing his "hard as f*ck" pretty quickly.

So it was decided we would head up to the plateau.

Two hours later RFF had manned up and wr made it to the top

So we immediately started looking for a place to set-up shop

It was a gorgeous day for the hike up

I got RFF going on setting up camp.

We were out of water and needed to find a source. So I grabbed our hydration packs, my binos and my rifle. I figured I could find a snow pack or a creek of some sort. Found out it was pretty dry up top. As I was using my indian tracking skills to find water, I heard a pop followed by a "whoo hoo!". Someone just dropped one. Should be good...

So I figured I'd start heading back to camp and figure something else out for water because the sun was setting. I came over the ridge and from my radio I hear

"I see a dirty squaw belly on the ridge"

So I start looking through my binos down to camp. Before I could come up with a return remark, all I could say was "don't want to get your hopes up... but I think I just gound water".

So I bailed over the ridge and down towards camp. I was thinking it may be just whitr tocks or something reflective. But it was really green all around and it just may be water.

Sure enough I found a spring about 400 yards from camp. It came out of the mountain and dried up rather quickly. I told RFF to get up to where I was and bring our canteens and headlamps right away. It was going to get dark fast. We dammed up the spring a little to get some pools hoing and make spots where we could fill our hydration packs. We dubbed it "WR Waterworks"

Excellent thread. Thanks for taking the time to post.

So RFF made us some dinner and it was time to retire for the night

The tent wasn't just tilted head to toe... but also left to right. If you've ever wondered what it's like sleeping next to Yukon Cornelius or an overgrown ewok... it's not the greatest... but it is warm.

Anyways, I was up before daylight and took some coaxing to get RFF out of the tent. Usually it's me that needs convincing and 10 minutes to warm my clothes in my sleeping bag. But I was itchin to go.

The weather was not looking promising. So we geared up and made our way to tge top of the plateau. As we climbed we hit rain. So on with the rain gear. We pushed on and it stopped raining. Only to start sleeting which in turn with the gain of elevation... turned to snow.

As we were hunting along we came across a fox. We named her Foxy Cleopatra. As soon as she spotted us, she b-lined it right to us.

She kept following us, so we had to throw some rocks at her to scare her away. She bailed and headed straight for our camp. My first thought was she was going to raid our camp and I best knock her over. Better judgement prevailed and all was good...

Except the fog started to cone in heavy and we were a ways down the plateau. I had a good bearing on where our camp was. Reid ****ing Fichtner decided that it would be best to follow the GPS back to camp. The fog had moved in pretty thick. We were close to camp by now, but I figured we'd listen to the GPS instead of my walking us off a ledge.

I thought we were close, but we had been making a steady pace for quite some time. I asked Reid F*cking Fichtndr how mych further we had to go. He insisted we still had a ways to go. I thought that was odd, but NASA wouldn't lie to me... so we trucked on. After a little longer, it seemed like we had done a 180. But maybe because we couldn't see very far, my bearing was off... so I ignored it and we kept on with the GPS. About half an hour later I asked RFF again how much further. He said we still got a ways.

Now I know we didn't walk that far. I asked him what direction the lake was. He told me to our left. Then I asked him what direction north was. He said to our left. At that moment I knew sonething was haywire for sure. I told him to follow me. We did a one eighty and started headung to the lake side of tge plateau. Funally RFF said the camp waypoint was within 600 yards. So we bailed down off the ridge. We came across WR Waterworks and began refillung our water supply.

As we were getting our water, thriugh the fog, two guys with a cariboo rack emerged on the horizon. They didn't end up comubg near, byt it sure looked like a fine specimen to me.

We finished gstgering fluids and headed back to camp for tgh night.

Looks cozy up on the hill.I bet bubba lost a few pounds on that hike?Keep it going!

I'm loving it!
    Keep up the good work.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Great stuff so far. You sure know how to tell a good story. Looking forward to more.