Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sandhill Crane

Re: Sandhill Crane

Jumped 3 of them last week in a cut up by Loon Lake...my son and the dog gave chase and put them up....pretty loud!

Quote Originally Posted by popcan View Post
    We get them in droves in the spring, and they pair off, breed and nest all over the place, especially near the swamps. Very prehistoric sounding birds.
    I've heard you're supposed to soak a sheet of plywood, throw that on a fire with the bird on it, then after a few hours eat the plywood. Its better than the bird.....

but what do I know.
    I heard of the same cooking method but with a loon. At least with wood you could make tooth picks....

I think I'll pass.....

Can they be shot to protect property?

Looks like there might be permit allocated through Canadian Wildlife Services to protect crops.

Has anybody dealt with them?

Tried whooping crane once, but it was a bit rare for me....

We were up in 5-02 over the weekend. Huge flocks, too high to identify for sure, but the croaking sure sounded like cranes. Really cool to hear. It must have been loud because they were up pretty high but the noise was very significant.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    We were up in 5-02 over the weekend. Huge flocks, too high to identify for sure, but the croaking sure sounded like cranes. Really cool to hear. It must have been loud because they were up pretty high but the noise was very significant.
    Yep 5-2 this time of year.

There's 1000's of them in the Barley. Trying to contact Canadian Wildlife Service for a permit to save the crop.

Anybody have the direct contact info for the CO in Williams Lake or Quesnel?

Thousands overhead of Tunkwa Lk area this past wknd. Noisy but neat to see. Same flight path and time each year - have seen them now many years in a row. Man do they fly the perfect V at a height that none others fly at (2,000 - 3,000 ft?)
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.