Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: ATV ignorance

Re: ATV ignorance

Driving through Montana, I had an ATV just whale off a ramp, right out onto the highway through the city and just go flat out. No helmet either. I figured he was some sorta rebel or maybe drunk. Then I noticed more of them, guys coming home from work and such. These machines didn't look any more equipped for road use then mine. I did see one guy with mirrors on a bar that was taped to his front rack.

Of course, if he gets squished by a truck then he has the American health care system to deal with.

But then, I also saw folks in line at fast food places with revolvers on their hips. They didn't get much notice either.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Basic liability was only about 100 bucks annually I think on my quad.

w w w .leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm

So it appears that this whole bill (Registration, Helmets, etc) has only passed first reading therefore is not a law yet. Which should mean we are still governed under Motor Vehicle (All terrain) Act which says no helmets on 4 wheel vehicles. Issurance on FSR is required but the rest nope. Can anyone confirm or deny.
    How are people getting fined if the law isn't enacted yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    w w w .leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm

So it appears that this whole bill (Registration, Helmets, etc) has only passed first reading therefore is not a law yet. Which should mean we are still governed under Motor Vehicle (All terrain) Act which says no helmets on 4 wheel vehicles. Issurance on FSR is required but the rest nope. Can anyone confirm or deny.
    How are people getting fined if the law isn't enacted yet?
    cops can ticket a person for literally anything.
    doesn't mean it will hold up in court if challenged, but they can write as many tickets as their heart desires.
    after all, it's their word against yours.

Yes but ticket should have act and section violated and fine amount. If no act no defined fine?
    ETA\ lots of rumours and it happened to a friend of a friend of mine, I just want to know is it law yet or not. From the great googler it appears not. M.V atv act was valid as of Sept 10 and government is not sitting, so it should still be valid.
    Last edited by ROY-alty33; 09-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    Yes but ticket should have act and section violated and fine amount. If no act no defined fine?
    ETA\ lots of rumours and it happened to a friend of a friend of mine, I just want to know is it law yet or not. From the great googler it appears not. M.V atv act was valid as of Sept 10 and government is not sitting, so it should still be valid.
    sure they can.
    my bro got pulled over and written because the cop said he was leaking fuel out his exhaust.
    and he said that his exhaust is clearly faulty because you could see emissions pouring out of them.
    this was in the dead of winter, about two minutes after he pulled out of the driveway.
    and his truck is freaking top-notch with everything.
    the cop didn't want to hear any of it and told him he had a week or so to get it fixed and come to the station to show them.
    the guy was clueless, but more than eager to write up bogus tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    sure they can.
    my bro got pulled over and written because the cop said he was leaking fuel out his exhaust.
    and he said that his exhaust is clearly faulty because you could see emissions pouring out of them.
    this was in the dead of winter, about two minutes after he pulled out of the driveway.
    and his truck is freaking top-notch with everything.
    the cop didn't want to hear any of it and told him he had a week or so to get it fixed and come to the station to show them.
    the guy was clueless, but more than eager to write up bogus tickets.

In a state of law like Canada that is called abuse of power.

<<Abuse of powerThe act of using one’s position of power in an abusive way. This can take many forms, such as taking advantage of someone, gaining access to informationthat shouldn’t be accessible to the public, or just manipulating someone with the ability to punish them if they don’t comply.>>

If that guy is just issuing bogus fines like that you can
    1. Challenge the tickey
    2. Do the mechanic inspection, place and add and get together with other motorists that had had issued to them same sort of abusive tickets and teach that officer and department what "protecting and serving" the people really means.

Cops unfortunately bank on the people being clueless or too busy to challenge their BS. Smile pretty, get the ticket and tear them a new one.

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

yeah, that was my point.
    they abuse their power all the time.
    they can do what they want, because when it comes down to it, it's your word against theirs.
    of course one can challenge the ticket, do the inspection, etc, but that doesn't stop them from doing the bogus stuff to begin with.

say a cop just wants to be a dick, pulls you over and writes you up for speeding, when you clearly weren't.
    how are you going to prove you weren't?
    you can't.
    it's your word against theirs, and the judge is going to believe them.
    it's not fair, but it's the way it is.

When pulled over for speeding, you have the right to request to see the actual radar reading. If you ask and they refuse then you should win in court.

You still have to go to court which means time out of your day.