Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

Re: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

Thanks again everyone....here's an easy way to finish things up: My dad is out--too cold for him. I'm runny solo for a last ditch effort around Renfrew (assuming its not too cold for me too). Have a great weekend y'all and good luck.

After all of this .. sorry to hear he isn't going out with you. Good luck!!

He can glass , point out bucks and help pack the deer out. He isn't in possession of a weapon nor does he intend to kill it.

Imagine a kid getting a ticket because he says. Look Daddy, a buck!! Ain't gonna happen.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

lol- Well I'll agree to disagree and bow out on this one. As mentioned, different CO's give different answers. I do like your analogy though as it brings up a very likely scenario and points out how silly the law can be ... if you (as I do) believe helping glass would end up with you getting a fine.

To be hunting he must meet the criteria as defined. He himself personally. Not the guy beside him. If he is unarmed and has no intent to personally kill, he isn't hunting, as per the definition in the regulations.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    To be hunting he must meet the criteria as defined. He himself personally. Not the guy beside him. If he is unarmed and has no intent to personally kill, he isn't hunting, as per the definition in the regulations.
    Not entirely. In spending some time negotiating with the CO service last year, it was explained to me, if, the 'other' person accompanying, enhances the hunters hunt, (spotting, counting points) a CO may evaluate the information at the time and assess accordingly. Seems subjective and flexible to me. For me, anytime i have a bud along on a hunt, hunter or non hunter, the hunt is enhanced.

Not entirely. In spending some time negotiating with the CO service last year, it was explained to me, if, the 'other' person accompanying, enhances the hunters hunt, (spotting, counting points) a CO may evaluate the information at the time and assess accordingly. Seems subjective and flexible to me. For me, anytime i have a bud along on a hunt, hunter or non hunter, the hunt is enhanced.
    I hate to drag this thread out even more but, I really want to know where in the regs it says you are not allowed to have other people enhance a hunt? What law are you breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I have never seen the word "enhanced" used in the regs in this way. I have a difficult time believing that a CO would pursue charges for this , as the observer clearly isn't hunting as defined in the regs.

The more I think abotu this "enhanced" thing, the more ramifications I dream up.

Examples:

I am tagged out on mule deer but I go with my buddy who still has a tag. I decide I will hunt with him and if an opportunity to shoot a wolf/yote/black bear comes up, I will take it, and if he gets a deer, I will assist him packing it out. I spot a 4 pt but must remain silent as to not enhance his hunt (I cannot hunt for mule deer with no tag of course) I sit silent for 10 minutes. Luckily, he spots the deer just before it slips away and shoots it. The deer runs off and dies. I cannot help track the deer because that would enhance his hunt.

The same buddy draws a grizzly LEH. I go with him with a black bear tag. We spot a grizzly so I get out my spotting scope and confirm it's a male and no cubs. Busted!

And of course the one I already mentioned. Kittle kid sees a buck "Daddy, a 4 pt!" Write that kid a ticket, pronto!

Thats my take....
    otherwise ..... how many of you have broke this law how many times....... really.
    The "Spotter" has no intention of killing... you do... This "Helping" thing...

CO: "Did you have intention of killing that thing?"
    Guy: "No how could i? he got the gun and liscense"

Everything is not this complicated.