Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded or Unloaded Horses and Bikes

Loaded or Unloaded Horses and Bikes

Question is hunting using trail horses considered motorized transport for the purposes of having a loaded or unloaded firearm.

Follow up on that is a push bikes (pedal bikes) considered a motorized transport. I have read/heard somewhere about e-bike due to the motor likely considered “motorized” transport and requiring unloading of firearms prior to use.

As an additional notes I don’t use any of the above methods of transport, and realize this is the internet and all that jazz about taking info with a grain of salt. I figured I’d ask though as may members here have a wealth of information to share.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Loaded or Unloaded Horses and Bikes

A bicycle is specifically mentioned as not allowed to have live ammo in the chamber or magazine. If you consider a horse as a conveyance the same applies. Regs page 14 It's unlawful item 25.

Why would anyone want a loaded firearm on either?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    Why would anyone want a loaded firearm on either?
    So they can "QUICK DRAW" on one of the many rabid grizzly bears that is lurking behind every 4th tree waiting to lunge at an ATV or even an unsuspecting horse....TRUE STORY

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    So they can "QUICK DRAW" on one of the many rabid grizzly bears that is lurking behind every 4th tree waiting to lunge at an ATV or even an unsuspecting horse....TRUE STORY
    I’ve been on horseback with packhorses in tow while watching a grizzly pop out less than 50 yds away and decide to turn away rather than toward us. Keep mocking why don’t you.

Horses are not considered motorized vehicles, you can pack a loaded gun on a horse legally. On the Earle Grey trail and surrounding areas horses and boots are the only acceptable mode of transport. Even helos have to obtain special permission to fly in supplies to the line camps..
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Bicycles are specifically mentioned even though most are non motorized. Horses are not.

I suggest an empty chamber for a rifle in a horse scabbard. I've pulled a rifle out of a scabbard several times to find the safety has been moved to the off position. I would imagine outfitters and guides insist on an empty chamber. I know I would if it was my horse.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I don't have horses now but when I did my rifle always had the magazine loaded with an empty chamber.Why not?

Have packed into the mountains with horses for many years. always had rounds in my rifle but empty chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Horses are not considered motorized vehicles, you can pack a loaded gun on a horse legally. On the Earle Grey trail and surrounding areas horses and boots are the only acceptable mode of transport. Even helos have to obtain special permission to fly in supplies to the line camps..
    The regulations say this - "It's unlawful to discharge, carry, or have in possession a firearm containing live ammunition in its breach or in its magazine attached to a firearm, in or on a railway car, motor vehicle, sleigh, aircraft or other conveyance."

I think you are right in saying that a horse is not a motorized vehicle. However, since a horse is used to move a person, or materials from one point to another, it would be considered a "means of transport." Merriam Webster dictionary defines conveyance as "a means of transport." So that implies that a horse is a type conveyance, therefore even a loaded magazine attached to the firearm would be considered unlawful.
    Last edited by 375shooter; 08-04-2021 at 12:14 AM.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!