Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Re: Toyota Tundra & Tacoma - real world feedback

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Yep! My wife's got a 1794 model. I guess the Toyota plant is on one of the first ranches established in 1794.
    You got it right. Brief history below. My 2016 Tacoma was built there as well.

The Best Texas Has to Offer

Cutting edge technology, hard work and, determination combine to make an award-winning vehicle unlike any other.
    Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. (TMMTX) is the home of the Toyota Tundra and Tacoma pickup trucks - built in the Southside of San Antonio!
    Our plant received the 2008 J.D. Power and Associates Silver award for Assembly Plant Quality in North and South America. This is a first-of-its-kind honor for a Toyota plant in its first year of production operation.
    Founded on Texas Tradition

From horses and cattle to horsepower and trucks, the oldest working ranch in Texas becomes the first Texas pickup truck automotive plant.
    Few places are as linked to the history of San Antonio and early Texas as the JLC Ranch.
    In 1794, a young colonist from the Canary Islands, Juan Ignacio de Casanova, received a royal grant for a league of rolling pastureland between Leon Creek and the Medina River. On this fertile land, he established El Rancho de la Purisima Concepcion, and later expanded his holdings to more than 24,000 acres.
    Ignacio later defended San Antonio from Mexican revolutionary forces attempting to break away from Spain. He served briefly as the Spanish Provincial Governor of Texas before his death in October 1823. His son, Jose Ignacio Perez continued to ranch the land.
    During the Texas Revolution, Perez remained loyal to the Mexican Government, moving his family to property along the Rio Grande. He continued to pay taxes on the ranch, which helped him reclaim the land when he returned in 1846.
    The Texas Republic recognized only the original land grant of 4,000 acres. This was passed on to Perez's descendants as the JLC Ranch until it was acquired by Toyota in 2003.
    Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. purchased 2,600 acres of this ranchland south of downtown San Antonio. After donating 600 acres to the City of San Antonio to create greenspace along Leon Creek and the Medina River, Toyota broke ground in 2003 and began operations in 2006, forever linking the ancient family histories of Juan Ignacio de Casanova and Sakichi Toyod

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Well due to it's age and a host of issues my Surf is off the road at the moment. It's a great little rig but after an injector pump leak November 2013 was the catalyst to purchase my '14 Taco, it became a winter beater, rode hard, put away wet. Debating whether cost effective to fix up now. A 'little love' in my case has meant a cracked head. Starting to overheat again on drives up Silver Star road.
    Yep. A lot of guys think diesel means power these days...those things were never race cars, they're fuel efficient get-ya-where-youre-going machines. The one I mentioned I think has the pump turned up a bit, a straight pipe, and some intake work. Basically a day in the shop and it'll cruise the malahat happily.
    I think you said you have an LTE motor, which is somewhat different than the mechanical LT.

As to the 1794 model...the GC I work for showed up in one yesterday. Damn that's a nice truck. He's run fleets of trucks for parks crews and bush work, says Toyota is the way to go in his experience.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Yep. A lot of guys think diesel means power these days...those things were never race cars, they're fuel efficient get-ya-where-youre-going machines. The one I mentioned I think has the pump turned up a bit, a straight pipe, and some intake work. Basically a day in the shop and it'll cruise the malahat happily.
    I think you said you have an LTE motor, which is somewhat different than the mechanical LT.

As to the 1794 model...the GC I work for showed up in one yesterday. Damn that's a nice truck. He's run fleets of trucks for parks crews and bush work, says Toyota is the way to go in his experience.
    The LTE engine is the same as the LT, difference is in the injector pump control, LTE is electronic, older LT mechanical. Bad head design on '91-'92 models, most crack after about 150000 k. They redesigned for later models, slightly larger engines too after that.

The LTE engine is the same as the LT, difference is in the injector pump control, LTE is electronic, older LT mechanical. Bad head design on '91-'92 models, most crack after about 150000 k. They redesigned for later models, slightly larger engines too after that.
    Yep, like I said, slightly different. I'm not sure what year my buddy's motor is, but he's got a spare sitting in case this one pops. Come to think of it, it may be a bigger turbo too...whatever it is, it sounds great and works great too.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

You folks so passionately anti NA frucks are aware most Tacomas & all Tundras sold in NA are built in a plant in San AntonioTexas? Remaining Tacos made in Mexico.....
    That doesn't mean Japanese design isn't superior or they don't have the superior quality control standards.

Any insight into whether the sport model or the off-road model (Tacoma) is better on the newer years? I know the different features, wondering about real-world ride and functionality. Heard the sport suspension is too stiff for logging road travel.

Hoping to get into one of these in the relatively near future, but haven't taken any for a test drive yet.

I run a 2016 Tacoma trd with a 6speed manual(4 door version). Average 11.5 l/100km. Very nice truck, but the short box is .... short. When all is said and done, I leased mine 14-15 months ago, and it's worth more than what I owe. Overall I'd give it a 8.5-9 out of 10. Fuel economy and the short box(no long box for manual) are it's short comings. The rest is positive.
    Last edited by bcexmod; 10-27-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    Any insight into whether the sport model or the off-road model (Tacoma) is better on the newer years? I know the different features, wondering about real-world ride and functionality. Heard the sport suspension is too stiff for logging road travel.

Hoping to get into one of these in the relatively near future, but haven't taken any for a test drive yet.
    the only difference is the shocks. Both are fleet quality shocks, so you won't notice a profound difference. My older OR also has progressive springs in the front, not sure if the new ones are the same.

Its mostly marketing and a sticker. Aside from some differences in the braking system and electronics and a rear locker. Buy whichever one is on the lot in the colour you like.

The 3rd Gen Sport has a much firmer suspension than the Trd Off Road. Sport Rides much harsher when offroad. OR has Bilstein shocks and the Sport has Hitachi shocks. Sway bar size is also different between the two trucks.
    When quys lift their OR'ds their suspension throw aways are snapped up by Sport owners.
    I also love my Oem Locker which the sport does not have.

More bang for your buck in the purchase of an OR model over a Sport in my opinion

Quote From TW
    Drive a kidney jarring sport around all day and then jump in an offroad.....it will feel like your riding on a feather bed with marshmallow wheels

Last edited by Stresd; 10-27-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Also be aware that there is a lot of hate for the auto tranny. Mine sucked for nearly 10K MILES. Then it got broken in and no longer shifts willy nilly. Totally tractable now. I wasn't sure for the first 5-8K miles on it.