Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raven & Crows

Re: Raven & Crows

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Thats a cool dog you got their Drillbit!I got a dog off Mt.Currie Reserve a few years back and he basically chows on anything except snakes and frogs.I think dog instincts are unbelievable.That garter snake may be a rattler or that frog may be poisonous?
    Thanks!
    Ol' Duke's a Rez dog too! lol Straight from Kluskus. Been riding ATV's since day one!

B-rad
    What kind of silhouette's do you use, home made or bought? How many do you put out? On the ground or in trees?

Gotta try something different for the next bit, they're on to me, big-time!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Good for you for hammering those damn birds. Just a heads up though, it's really not a good idea to let your dog retrieve crows/ravens. If only injured they will go for the eyes of the dog, I have seen a couple of really bad near misses and one dog lose an eye to a wounded crow, and as we know a good dog just wont quit.
    No worrries there Foxton!Those rez dogs may not have the pedigree but they make that up in their enthusiasm to rip the s***t outta those s***hawks!No offense.You have beautiful dogs by the way!!

What about the West Nile virus? Is it everywhere and would it affect an animal that loves to crunch down and them?
    Proud member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Hunt,Kill,Eat

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    You bet, thanks!

He's not only a retriever, he spots them too. Never barks, just perks up and looks at them when they're coming in. Actually, I've never heard him bark, ever.

He's the only one that enjoys the hunt as much as me, happy to have him around for another spring for sure.

Today we only got one on the ground, things are slowing down, all the dumb ones are dead.

Only 13 cows left to calve, then it'll be Gopher season!
    I miss calving time loooong days but when its over and youve managed 100%+ its a pretty good feeling
    My favorite time was always branding/turn out . Gophers are the best havent given my gopher gun much of a work out since moving to the Island
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Thanks!
    Ol' Duke's a Rez dog too! lol Straight from Kluskus. Been riding ATV's since day one!

B-rad
    What kind of silhouette's do you use, home made or bought? How many do you put out? On the ground or in trees?

Gotta try something different for the next bit, they're on to me, big-time!
    Try loading your puckup with garbage and leaving it some place you havent been hammerg them hide close by and wait it used to work great for a shoot or 2 for us when the black *******s got wise.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Try loading your puckup with garbage and leaving it some place you havent been hammerg them hide close by and wait it used to work great for a shoot or 2 for us when the black *******s got wise.
    Haha ya, McD's brown bags should work!

Got skunked today (only took one shot and got a magpie). Nothing in the sky but eagles and hawks.

Gonna go to the neighbours tomorrow and try there.

Good thread. Nice shooting.

I had a chuckle when I noticed the 'Upland Birds and Small Game'. Never really thought of crows as either of those.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Good thread. Nice shooting.

I had a chuckle when I noticed the 'Upland Birds and Small Game'. Never really thought of crows as either of those.
    Thanks!

Haha ya, there's no varmint/pest section, so it seemed the next best spot.

Next up is Gophers, they should pass as small game, right? lol

The big branding party is next weekend. Great comraderie with great people. Usually end up at the Horsefly Follies after. Always a great time!

No, can't imagine gopher hunting on the island. Are there any on the island?
    Mostly use a 22 for gophers, but the places we can use a 22-250 sure puts smiles on faces.

Best ammo for ravens is 3" lead #2's. Haven't tried 3.5 steel yet ( I save them for when I need to use steel), but 3" Blackclouds are pretty weak.

In a pinch the CanTire #2 Heavy 2 3/4's are about as good as it gets.

I ran out of cardboard shells this year and am into old imperials (got them from mrak off this site). If anybody want to get rid of some old "whammy shells" let me know!

I run a Benelli SBE II 26" with a factory full choke. Used to run an 11-87 but broke the extractor too many times and always had cycling problems, o-rings too.
    My sidekick runs a Benelli Vinci 26" med choke and Blackclouds