Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Newb: Planning! :)

Re: Biggest Newb: Planning! :)

Quote Originally Posted by clte View Post
    Thanks I have been looking into this a bit too, that's why I was thinking of starting with Duck hunting to get used to cleaning smaller animals first.

Consider joining a gun club in you area, preferably one with a skeet range. Shooting clays will go a long way to help you shooting ducks and geese.

If you need some help finding ducks in the new season send me a PM and I will be happy to point you in the right direction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

Thank you Kudu I'm not sure how fast I will be this year but in the next 12 months i'll message you, certainly.

As my research continues what is startling me is how restricted camping locations and fires are now! Having grown up in North Van this is not something we would even think about as kids you just learn fire safety at outdoor schooling and camping out.

Stuff has definately changed over the years!I also grew up in North Van and my buddies & me never worried about where we camped or lit a fire back in the 70's/80's. Ya I know- but I'm not that old.We used to camp out at Lynn Creek & Seymour River every other weekend in the summer.Nobody said a thing ?Mind you some of my buddies were kinda scary to look at?

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Stuff has definately changed over the years!I also grew up in North Van and my buddies & me never worried about where we camped or lit a fire back in the 70's/80's. Ya I know- but I'm not that old.We used to camp out at Lynn Creek & Seymour River every other weekend in the summer.Nobody said a thing ?Mind you some of my buddies were kinda scary to look at?
    Ya we had a quite a few camp outs up the Cap river and up Lynn Creek. Only place I really see rangers these days is up Lynn Headwaters though.

For your first rifle I would suggest something that isn't going to have a lot of recoil. You will become a better shooter and hopefully won't developed a flinch. Shoot as much as you can at a range and get to no your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by menace270 View Post
    For your first rifle I would suggest something that isn't going to have a lot of recoil. You will become a better shooter and hopefully won't developed a flinch. Shoot as much as you can at a range and get to no your gun.
    Thanks menace.

I've been eyeing the Ruger 10/22 as my first rifle... then on to a Browning BPS for ducks... then i'm not sure on the rifle i'd get after... a 300 wm maybe? hrm these decisions are still a few months down the line.

Sending in my PAL tomorrow and finished my CORE. Still a few months away and some more gear to round things out.

Check out the thread stickied by fowl language about the region 2 new hunter bootcamp. It's a new course we put on that's geared towards brand new hunters in September. It covers decoys, gutting, first aid, shooting,etc ...Great course!

Quote Originally Posted by LupieHunter View Post
    Check out the thread stickied by fowl language about the region 2 new hunter bootcamp. It's a new course we put on that's geared towards brand new hunters in September. It covers decoys, gutting, first aid, shooting,etc ...Great course!
    Was checking out Lupie. Will depend on what I am doing but will investigate for sure. Thank you!

Got my hunter # today and sent my PAL form in a week ago. Slowly getting there.