Thread: Hit the jackpot

Hit the jackpot

so I thought.

Went for a short hike this afternoon to scout a new deer spot near where I got a bear on cam last week I was some fresh deer track when I look down at my feet and there's a beautiful morel at my feet. Then as I lift my eyes another and another. As I look around there are over a dozen around me. So I filled my bag and carried on. I know there ae deer in this area and am coming in from different angles all the time wich teaches me a lot about the area. It's a steep hill side with acouple small benches. I hit the upper bench and there is a lot of fresh track and very poops. I sneek around a small bend and 15 ft in front of me this girl stands up looks at me and takes a couple steps into the bush . She stuck around long enough to let me snap a couple pics then I dropped down the hill away from her. Just so we stay on good terms.i head home happy with my hike and pumped about finding the honey hole morel spot. I get to my parents house to show off my finds and we are all pumped. Then I thought about it a bit more and decide I better hit the old intranet just be safe as I have heard of false morels and not supper experienced in morels well I am disappointed as there are false morels. Very similar. And deadly if your wrong.Good Day had though two Easter hunts one bear hunt shed hunt deer scouting hunt and a mushroom hunt. Shroom safe out there.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hit the jackpot

I've picked a few black morels before, but like you I'm rusty so I'd be checkin as well..glad you did..

Those look like half free morrels not verpa. Cut em in half and look at the way the heads are attached. You stkll may have some edibles there! On the other hand, better safe than sorry.
    I was fortunate to have about 2 pounds of blacks show up in my aunts flower bed last week!
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

None here yet; still a foot or more of snow in the bush...

we pick em every year and those look false to me.

Not a mushroom pro by any stretch, but I'm fairly confident with Morels.

All the ones you have pictured I would eat with confidence, save for the bottom right one and possibly the top right one that is partially covered. False Morels are ofter refered to as "Brain" mushrooms, as they often resemble a brain.

You can see the obvious difference in the bottom right mushroom compared to the others.

Nice pickins!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach