Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: HUNTING ARGENTINA - Spears, Arrows and Bullets -

Re: HUNTING ARGENTINA - Spears, Arrows and Bullets -

Man, oh man. I just came across this thread and what an outstanding read it is. It just made my day. Thanks so much for posting stories and all the pics.

Today Cory just finished learning to make empanadas, one of her favorite foods. We had thought about learning this at a cooking class, but she just got the lesson from the cooks here instead. Cory loves these pizza pop like things. Today it’s raining, it stormed all night and we won’t be heading out for the one animal we have left to take, Peccaries. I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

There is something special about taking an animal that you can only get in one place in the world. White lipped peccaries fit in this category. There are lots of peccaries all over the world, collared peccary is probably the most widely spread. Most people call them javelina. They have both collared and white lipped running free on this ranch, and many people fly specifically to this area to take this elusive and rare species. These peccaries are a lot bigger than the Texas javelina. They are probably about twice the size at 70-90lbs.

Of course we are going to try to take them with spears. Even though peccary isn’t near the size of a boar, it is one of the most dangerous animals on the ranch. The inside of these things mouths look like a vampires. They clack their teeth together to warn you as you approach of just what lurks inside those angry jaws. When cornered they will readily attack and that is exactly our plan. Use the dogs to find them, nose to the ground, then surround them and stop them. That’s when you come storming in like some kind of bumbling super hero and try to poke him in the heart lungs area, all the while he jumps and spins and gnashes his angry teeth at you, trying to put your hand or leg in that garburator of a mouth he’s got.

These things are far faster than the boars and after seeing one of the guides’ arms and what a peccary inflicted on it, I had my concerns. Another unusual thing about these porcupine like creatures is their hair. Its incredibly course, and really long. As you approach them the hair stands up on end like some kind of rock star at the beginning of a concert. The hair stands on end maybe 8 inches. Then if that isn’t scary enough they emit this scent out of a gland on their back which smells pretty much like a dead goat.

Unlike the hogs, which are speared horizontally, these things you try to pin down to the ground so they don’t escape. They are just too fast and if you let them go with a bad poke, they can run far, and may never be found again. The other good/bad thing about them is that the biggest male, the boss, is who you’re up against. As the herd scatters, the boss stays to fight and defend their territory. Game on. So, like a good soldier I went into the bush after him. Sure enough, he gnashed his teeth quickly and puffed up like a porcupine fish! He looked the opposite way at one of the dogs and I took my opportunity sinking the spear down deep into his heart.

That night it was peccary ribs for dinner as Stewart also skewered another nice plump one. Surprisingly they tasted very similar to pork, with no weird goaty, or gamey flavor. I would really recommend trying for a javelina if you ever can. It was a pretty incredible hunt.

Now being back in Canada for a couple of weeks I sit and think of the hunt that took place. It was definitely once in a life time, that being said, I think I would go back next year and do it all over if I could. Argentina is a beautiful country and South America is just so much different than the Mexico I expected to see. I would highly recommend Annuritay Ranch as a place to hunt. Everything about the trip was great from beginning to end. I do hope to go back next winter for dove hunting and beaches, heck, I might even be in the mood to stab something. Thanks for reading, sorry for the long windedness, but I told things as they happened day to day, to try to take you along with me.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Depends on the season, but primarily Langley

Well done. Argentina is an amazing country, everyone should go if they have the chance. The people are great, as is the asado and vino tinto.
    Get off your ass and go hunting

www.Lodestaroutfitters.com

Wow, sounds like an amazing hunt, thanks for sharing all the great pics and story's.

Congrats
    I love animals
    They taste GREAT

Yah man ....
    Blacktailaholic

A bump for my brother. Miss you buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.