Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are the best gun cleaning practices?

Re: What are the best gun cleaning practices?

Fact is most guys clean for peace of mind, not because their rifle actually needs it. Even in the dustiest of conditions, a taped muzzle and closed bolt will keep your bore safe. That said, I use a fair bit of Rem-Oil cleaning up exterior parts and removing dirt and grime from the bolt, trigger, follower etc. Nothing a couple Q-tips and few patches won't take care of at base camp.

If not pulled straight through, the cord will abrade the bore and crown.
    So a cord will abrade steel? I would be more worried about the steel abrading the cord and getting the pull through cleaner stuck in the middle of the barrel. Ug what a bitch that would be to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    So a cord will abrade steel? I would be more worried about the steel abrading the cord and getting the pull through cleaner stuck in the middle of the barrel. Ug what a bitch that would be to get out.
    Suit yourself, you cannot profess ignorance anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Fact is most guys clean for peace of mind, not because their rifle actually needs it. Even in the dustiest of conditions, a taped muzzle and closed bolt will keep your bore safe. That said, I use a fair bit of Rem-Oil cleaning up exterior parts and removing dirt and grime from the bolt, trigger, follower etc. Nothing a couple Q-tips and few patches won't take care of at base camp.
    I understand the closed action and taped off muzzle, but how about the dust particles settling on top of the action. Once you start cycling the rounds, this could potentially find its way inside, couldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
    If not pulled straight through, the cord will abrade the bore and crown. This has been known for a long time. There was even an inspection stamp "W" for this type of wear on a Lee Enfield.
    I try to pull the cord straight, trying not to let it touch the bore. It seems to be working, so far. Have been doing this for 35 years and my rifles haven't got less accurate.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

No sweat. I'm that way with bolt maintenance and keeping the action and chamber spiffy. I used to be fussier with the bore, but never could see a benefit at the range, so opted to start letting the gun tell me when it needed to be cleaned.
    I've been shooting my T3 in .338 a lot recently. Been getting great results from a clean bore. First shot always goes to the same POI as all the rest. Will try not cleaning for longer, to see if accuracy improves. Will be looking for POI shift, as well. I'll let you know what happens. Might take a while, though. After big game season ends, will be starting to work with my new (to me) 22-250 AI semi custom.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nolimits View Post
    I understand the closed action and taped off muzzle, but how about the dust particles settling on top of the action. Once you start cycling the rounds, this could potentially find its way inside, couldn't it?
    I'm guessing probably.....

But let's keep things in perspective here. The very act of detonating a cartridge and blowing 2700'C flame, powder particles, primer debris, and a bullet down the bore at 3000'ish fps is going to have a "somewhat" negative impact on your throat and bore over time. Those dust particles you mentioned are going to be far more detrimental to your bolt lugs and chamber walls than your actual bore, which is why I wipe those parts with Rem-Oil as needed throughout the season.