Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What other breeds dogs do you folks use hunting other then hounds

Re: What other breeds dogs do you folks use hunting other then hounds

NOG post some pics of your dogs !
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex hunter2 View Post
    What other breeds of dogs do you folks hunt with for bear or cats or birds , that are not of the norm breeds for hunting but have proven to be good working dogs .....I have an American bulldog who's 7 months old lives to chase bears .. No fear in him at all loves to chase house cats to lol both his dad and uncle hunted boar and bears , I got him from a breeder...
    I was a houndsman for many years. Loved that sh*t!
    i was mentored by a terrific hunter. I chose bluetick cross.
    Great times. My advice take it or leave it is to be aware of choosing a quiet dog. If a cat or bear is gonna turn on your dog it will turn quicker on a quiet dog. If you choose a quiet dog be sure you fit him or her with a noisy bell on their collar before you cut it loose. It also helps you find your dog when things aren’t going well. It confuses the quarry and keeps them looking for a tree.
    A properly trained hound also makes an amazing family pet. Trust me.
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    I was a houndsman for many years. Loved that sh*t!
    i was mentored by a terrific hunter. I chose bluetick cross.
    Great times. My advice take it or leave it is to be aware of choosing a quiet dog. If a cat or bear is gonna turn on your dog it will turn quicker on a quiet dog. If you choose a quiet dog be sure you fit him or her with a noisy bell on their collar before you cut it loose. It also helps you find your dog when things aren’t going well. It confuses the quarry and keeps them looking for a tree.
    A properly trained hound also makes an amazing family pet. Trust me.
    Best of luck!
    sorry one more piece of advice. Because a dogs breed states it’s a hunting dog, not all are created equal on the track. I strongly recommend buying fro a line of active hunters (parents /grandparents). It really makes a difference training and in the field.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

I am seriously toying with the Idea getting (importing from Germany) another purebred "German Hunting Terrier" (Deutscher Jagdterrier). Had 4 over a span of almost 40 years. Most versatile hunting Dogs I ever knew and also excellent Watchdogs. Small and Lightweight means easily transported even in small Aircraft also means considerable less Dog food and Dog%$*(&. Absolutely no Fear tracking anything including any Bear and Cat but also Antlered/horned Game.

The negative is there are very few Breeders in North America therefore importing from Germany/Austria/Hungry where the are plentiful is likely the only option.

Would also make an excellent companion/protector for Wilderness Hikers in Bear Country.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Agreed. Wonderful dogs.
    My biggest heart ache from my chasing days was losing my hounds. The bigger breeds have a shorter lifespan. Not to sound like a wimp but I still mourn for some of them. The character and humour in a hounds soul is gripping.

Biggest disappointment was buying hounds not from hunting lineage. Way more work and more frustration in the field. However I wouldn’t trade a minute of it for anything!!

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    I am seriously toying with the Idea getting (importing from Germany) another purebred "German Hunting Terrier" (Deutscher Jagdterrier). Had 4 over a span of almost 40 years. Most versatile hunting Dogs I ever knew and also excellent Watchdogs. Small and Lightweight means easily transported even in small Aircraft also means considerable less Dog food and Dog%$*(&. Absolutely no Fear tracking anything including any Bear and Cat but also Antlered/horned Game.

The negative is there are very few Breeders in North America therefore importing from Germany/Austria/Hungry where the are plentiful is likely the only option.

Would also make an excellent companion/protector for Wilderness Hikers in Bear Country.

Cheers
    For many years there was a German fella running those terriers in revelstoke. Worth looking into!! He had 2 complaints with those dogs (but tons of success)
    the little guys had a tough time in certain deep snow and no tongues. (Noise)

Been a long time but I believe his name was volker goulnik.

Yes loud dogs are good RobU .. well time will tell anyhow tis that time of the season..
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer

No..still mouths are meat dogs.....it is a whole different style of hunting.
    I had a good open mouthed dog that would clam up when it was needed...he had brains.
    Quite dog generally mean shorter chase.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)