Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What other breeds dogs do you folks use hunting other then hounds

Re: What other breeds dogs do you folks use hunting other then hounds

We've got a Griff pup on the way, she'll be here on Nov 29 at 11 weeks old. I've had long coat german shepherds for about 30 years and my luck with their life span has been progressively worse with my last guy passing at just under 6 years of an enlarged heart. He came from a very reputable breeder whose dogs regularly live 13-15 years and that's why I got him from her. She offered me a discount on another pup if I liked but in all honesty it was time to change it up. The wife mentioned that she would like a dog that was non shedding and through a process of elimination we decided on a Griffon. We've read lots of great things about them

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Griffs are about as versatile as you can get, as well,,,,they point, they retrieve, love the water and don't freeze during the colder months, plus they track. When they're soaking wet it takes them a very short time to dry off. They are about the most social hunting dog as you can find. I really like their size,,,,,my female tips the scale at 48 pounds.

IMG_1441 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

GSP as well better pheasant dog i have never had ,but lost my chocolate lab and finally couldnt stand not having one so new black for me this Xmas with the wifes and GSP blessing..

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    We've got a Griff pup on the way, she'll be here on Nov 29 at 11 weeks old. I've had long coat german shepherds for about 30 years and my luck with their life span has been progressively worse with my last guy passing at just under 6 years of an enlarged heart. He came from a very reputable breeder whose dogs regularly live 13-15 years and that's why I got him from her. She offered me a discount on another pup if I liked but in all honesty it was time to change it up. The wife mentioned that she would like a dog that was non shedding and through a process of elimination we decided on a Griffon. We've read lots of great things about them
    Where's your griff coming from? Mine has turned out to be just like what I researched about griffs on the net so I'm super happy about that but after being on a couple of different griff face book pages for some time, it sure seems like there's a fair bit of discrepancy with their coats and size. Seems like a lot of monster size griffs coming from some breeders in the States and some shed more than you'd expect. Mine pup came from the third breeding of two dogs so I pretty much knew what I was getting based on all the previous females from the first two litters right from the get go. I'll definitely get another griff down the road one day,,,,great dogs!

On another note, last year in late November we had a meet and greet griff day at Tynehead Park in Surrey and I think there will be another one this year. 10-11 griffs were there,,,,was a lot of fun. It would give you an idea what you'll end up with when it comes to this species of bird dog although I'm not sure how many of the group of dogs that showed up are hunted.

IMG_1430 by Brent Davy, on Flickr
    Last edited by mastercaster; 10-31-2018 at 12:50 PM.

We should try and organize something for all these hunting breeds. It's a shame no navhda chapter excists in BC. I believe it would be very successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    We should try and organize something for all these hunting breeds. It's a shame no navhda chapter excists in BC. I believe it would be very successful.
    It would be great if a NAVHDA chapter started locally... to revive an old thread... http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ghlight=NAVHDA
    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
    Having an opinion is kind of like having a penis. It's fine that you have one, and its fine that I have one, but you don't see me trying to cram mine down your throat.....

Totally agree. Even if the loca membership was lower than you'd like I'm sure you could gather people from other chapters as well. I ran my test with the southern alberta chapter and I know for a fact they would be interested in helping after talking with them. The breeder i got my dog from is a big part of the northern chapter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    Norwegian Elkhound
    Im with the_longwalker.
    Norwegian elkhounds since 1997
    And yes I know for deer dogs need to be leashed. In the first pic we were tagged out and no longer hunting in case anyone wonders

I would love 2 see that and would be in 100%. As far as hunting dogs I think a lab is by far the best..

I have a young drathaar and would be interested in the navhda starting up in lower mainland.

Our Griff is coming out of Montana, seems to be quite a few breeders there. To be quite honest our breeder just happened to have puppies when we were looking. She's been at it for about 5 years, Yellowstone River Griffons. She's been great to deal with. Reading about your experience as well as the guy who has Mater really helped sway us toward a Griffon. They seem to have everything we're looking for, a great family dog and a dog as I describe it "a dog that can take a punch". If you can, keep me in the loop as far as the Griff get together goes I'd like to go. I'm not sure if I'll hunt her but I think I'd like to. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Where's your griff coming from? Mine has turned out to be just like what I researched about griffs on the net so I'm super happy about that but after being on a couple of different griff face book pages for some time, it sure seems like there's a fair bit of discrepancy with their coats and size. Seems like a lot of monster size griffs coming from some breeders in the States and some shed more than you'd expect. Mine pup came from the third breeding of two dogs so I pretty much knew what I was getting based on all the previous females from the first two litters right from the get go. I'll definitely get another griff down the road one day,,,,great dogs!

On another note, last year in late November we had a meet and greet griff day at Tynehead Park in Surrey and I think there will be another one this year. 10-11 griffs were there,,,,was a lot of fun. It would give you an idea what you'll end up with when it comes to this species of bird dog although I'm not sure how many of the group of dogs that showed up are hunted.

IMG_1430 by Brent Davy, on Flickr