Thread: Need some insight and education

Need some insight and education

The wife and I just got back from our vacation to Whitehorse and through BC. It was an excellent trip and we saw a lot of beautiful country. I was pretty sure I wanted to move to the Yukon, but now I'm not so sure....some of BC was really spectacular! We stopped at Dease Lake on our way down from Whitehorse, and went on the Prince Rupert the next day. Went through Terrace on the way there and we were both very pleasantly surprised by it, seemed a nice town and the surrounding area was awesome. Prince Rupert.....well, the ocean is nice, so its got that going for it lol! Anyway, we were headed to Quesnel a couple days later and once again unexpectedly encountered a town we really liked in Smithers. I guess maybe its the presence of a bit of farm land that appeals to me so much, as I've always lived in places where farms are plentiful and enjoy a bit of hobby farming myself. Also, both towns looked like they would have some very good fishing nearby. Quesnel was actually pretty decent too, and although we were just staying there to go to Barkerville the next day we both thought it was a pretty nice area.

So, I thought I'd ask you guys what these area's are really like as far as hunting/fishing opportunities and overall places to live. We are going to stay put for a few more years here to get this place payed off before we make a move, but I like to do plenty of research before any major decision. To me it looked like Terrace would be tops for fishing, but hunting I couldn't tell. What is hunting like in these area's? Looked like it would all be pretty good bear area, some places looked like they might hold deer, and probably moose and elk? How far would one have to go to be into good sheep hunting territory? Thats one thing about Yukon, it looked to be spectacular for sheep hunting! I am primarily a bowhunter, though I do still pick up a rifle from time to time. Is BC still a good place for an outdoorsman to move? I've been in Alberta for the last 12 years or so, and certainly enjoyed it. Our fishing is pretty lackluster, but there is pretty good hunting to be had if your willing to put some effort in. How would you rate the area's of Terrace,Smithers and even Quesnel for hunting and fishing? I'm afraid to look too far south or central as I've heard it gets pretty darn hot in the summer and I don't do so well in the heat...but if there are other area's you would suggest, I'd like to look at those too. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need some insight and education

Terrace is tops for fishing, period. Good bear and goat hunting. Smithers has good fishing (better off to drive west though) and good hunting for bear, moose, goat. Good for deer if you can find private land, fair otherwise. both towns are absolute outdoor playgrounds.

South-east BC Winter, mosquito season and fall doesn't cut it. Central BC is going to loose a whole lot of hunting in the near furture.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I had a career lined up in Whitehorse. Still wishing I went there.

Every year, late summer and fall I think about how I blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
    The wife and I just got back from our vacation to Whitehorse and through BC. It was an excellent trip and we saw a lot of beautiful country. I was pretty sure I wanted to move to the Yukon, but now I'm not so sure....some of BC was really spectacular! We stopped at Dease Lake on our way down from Whitehorse, and went on the Prince Rupert the next day. Went through Terrace on the way there and we were both very pleasantly surprised by it, seemed a nice town and the surrounding area was awesome. Prince Rupert.....well, the ocean is nice, so its got that going for it lol! Anyway, we were headed to Quesnel a couple days later and once again unexpectedly encountered a town we really liked in Smithers. I guess maybe its the presence of a bit of farm land that appeals to me so much, as I've always lived in places where farms are plentiful and enjoy a bit of hobby farming myself. Also, both towns looked like they would have some very good fishing nearby. Quesnel was actually pretty decent too, and although we were just staying there to go to Barkerville the next day we both thought it was a pretty nice area.

So, I thought I'd ask you guys what these area's are really like as far as hunting/fishing opportunities and overall places to live. We are going to stay put for a few more years here to get this place payed off before we make a move, but I like to do plenty of research before any major decision. To me it looked like Terrace would be tops for fishing, but hunting I couldn't tell. What is hunting like in these area's? Looked like it would all be pretty good bear area, some places looked like they might hold deer, and probably moose and elk? How far would one have to go to be into good sheep hunting territory? Thats one thing about Yukon, it looked to be spectacular for sheep hunting! I am primarily a bowhunter, though I do still pick up a rifle from time to time. Is BC still a good place for an outdoorsman to move? I've been in Alberta for the last 12 years or so, and certainly enjoyed it. Our fishing is pretty lackluster, but there is pretty good hunting to be had if your willing to put some effort in. How would you rate the area's of Terrace,Smithers and even Quesnel for hunting and fishing? I'm afraid to look too far south or central as I've heard it gets pretty darn hot in the summer and I don't do so well in the heat...but if there are other area's you would suggest, I'd like to look at those too. Thanks.

Lived in the Yukon part time for over a dozen years. I call it the last frontier. Whitehorse is a nice town. Dawson City was built on permafrost hence the sunken, leaning historic buildings. Super friendly people in both towns especially when you get to know them.
    The Sourdough Rendezvous days in Whitehorse each Feb. are unforgettable. The beautiful can can girls, the story telling(remember Robert Service's recreation) & never ending parties. Hunting is hard to beat.

Lived in Terrace & Kitimat -nice & rugged scenery but not my fav.

Was a mining surveyor in Cassiar so know the surrounding area including Dease Lake & Telegraph Creek. Fairly common to see caribou crossing the roads. Lots of game in the 60's, 70's.

My fav towns are Clinton, 100 mile, WL & Lac la Hache. (in that order).
    Clinton is cool in the summer & close to Gang, Empire, Farwell, Big Creek country(GOD's country). Been hunting the area for over 50 years.There is a reason Chris Kind (aka safarichris on HBC) lives in Clinton!

Pemberton is another nice town-a getaway to some spectacular mountain scenery & great hunting.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Thanks, that's great information! If I could find a place out of town in the Yukon to live I would go for it for sure. Wife is a little bit on the fence, but I think could be talked into it..I'm checking into those other towns you mentioned right away,might need to plan another trip.