Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BC moose tracker app

Re: BC moose tracker app

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Valid point regarding spammers, however, I believe over time they will be able to nullify unreliable data via mathematical equations like they do with hunter surveys. There will certainly be growing pains, but trying something is better than trying nothing.
    unless you believe the data to be accurate, adjust allotments, only to find out a terrible mistake has been made. obviously there will be some oversite before openings, tags issued would be adjusted, but how? What info would they use to back up the softwares predictions? Trained biologists in the air and on the ground are the most reliable sources imo.. I expect this app will shift focus from data collected by biologists and science, over to Eco tourists who can't tell a moose from range cattle.

I highly doubt that. When I set up the app it asked if it could use available the available gps positioning programs. Conclusions would be easy to find with the data given.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Same moose is seen in same swamp off hwy by many motorists reporting it over and over during warm summer months and next the conclusion will be that there many moose in that area. Brilliant.
    I'm going to assume that the data will be compared to the available "feet on the ground" information over time. I agree, trained biologist in the air and on the ground will remain to be the most reliable sources. This will just be another tool available. Like I previously mentioned, there will be growing pains, and obviously time will be needed to calculate all the data, years, if not decades. In addition, the cost of doing fly overs for one management unit ranges from $25-$50,000, whereas the total amount to develop this app was $25,000. IMO, the investment is minute compared to the possible advantages this app provides. With all that said, I understand both of your guys pessimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterpayton54 View Post
    unless you believe the data to be accurate, adjust allotments, only to find out a terrible mistake has been made. obviously there will be some oversite before openings, tags issued would be adjusted, but how? What info would they use to back up the softwares predictions? Trained biologists in the air and on the ground are the most reliable sources imo.. I expect this app will shift focus from data collected by biologists and science, over to Eco tourists who can't tell a moose from range cattle.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Hmmmm. Heading in for 2 week moosey hunt in 7 last week Sept, first week Oct. Three Bull tags. Sadly though I know how much every one in our group would love to supply our location and data . (Ya right) We all run Android platforms. Not an Iphone in the group. Wonder who the silly Govt employee was that decided to roll out this system on an IOS App and expect to get a lot of data. Hell of a lot more Androids out there.

I believe they are still working out the kinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Hmmmm. Heading in for 2 week moosey hunt in 7 last week Sept, first week Oct. Three Bull tags. Sadly though I know how much every one in our group would love to supply our location and data . (Ya right) We all run Android platforms. Not an Iphone in the group. Wonder who the silly Govt employee was that decided to roll out this system on an IOS App and expect to get a lot of data. Hell of a lot more Androids out there.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

it's all good, moose sightings will fall short to unicorns

Last edited by Xenomorph; 08-25-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Horrible app, I drove all over Region 1 and the app didn't show me a single moose!

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Horrible app, I drove all over Region 1 and the app didn't show me a single moose!

Pfffft ...thanks for that man
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Used the app the other day to record my sightings (and a few days with no moose...). It's pretty straightforward. Anyone else using it?

..... "unicorn liv in banff"

"it gonna eat long time before it mows this grass"
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Quote Originally Posted by alcesgigantes View Post
    Used the app the other day to record my sightings (and a few days with no moose...). It's pretty straightforward. Anyone else using it?

Nope. It's apple only (IoS). You would think whoever designed the App would have made it for the operatings system (Android) with the largest market share first. 2 bulls down and at the cutters. Could have recorded another 9 or 10. Ceptin everyone in my groups Phones/Tabs operate on the Android operating system.