Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to Hunt Bison

Re: How to Hunt Bison

Good point about the table fair of bison. The two that I got were both cows and fine to eat. Young bulls were fine too. One buddy got a real old huge bull.
    He ended up with a pallet load of questionable burger. Most of it being like unwanted kittens, free to a good home!

some great advice, hopefully I'll get a chance at one too. Good luck on your hunt!!

most of the draw holders will be "road hunting". Find a vantage and glass. The bison seem to be really good at being just out of sight/hearing. Find them on the fringes of treeline and meadows where the hunters aren't pounding with their rigs.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

My Bull was a big one. I chose to do the gutless method and worked out the best for my situation.
    Every bit of meat was taken except the ribs and even then we cut the meat between them and put them in a bag. The ribs are HUGE and alot of weight when you have to carry it off a mountain.
    Tenderloin was cut out by rolling him back onto the gutpile, cutting the last 4 ribs off and exposing them. Easy peasy and way less weight. Bone keep the heat in for sure. These animals are HUGE, especially a decent bull. Getting him cooled down is the weather is mild is most important.
    The Bronto size hip bones will keep the heat in for over a day maybe two. That equals bone sour.
    take lots of help and meat bags. I used 9 bags for mine and they were NOT light.
    Good luck. If ya need more help just PM me.

Headed up on nov.1st. Any info on current conditions?

Try and call Mike and Dixie Hammet a call if you Have a extra 1000 bucks 250 412 5209. But if you plan on doing it by camp the bison will be up the valley look for sign and expect to walk, and walk. Dont forget Chains for your truck to get out of at 8 mile hill. They Can be anywhere that time of year all depends on the hunting pressure they like to hide way in the back.

Rain and little snow road in is slimy. About +one today.

Less than a week to go until I head up north for my hunt, so I thought I'd bump this thread to the top. Anyone have any last minute bison hunting tips for me?

Good luck, be safe, take lots of photos

Cheers
    Srupp

My husband just pulled a nice cow out of there last week, I will have him (or me most likely) message you with some info since there is not allot of info for the Sikanni area compared to pink mountain.

Actually he just said he will give you his number so you can give him a call, not tomorrow as he out looking to tag out on Mulies lol. None the less I will send you a pm a bit later this eve after dinner.
    Last edited by ajeatoo; 12-05-2014 at 07:41 PM.