Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Might be moving to Alberta.

Re: Might be moving to Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Some folk are much harder than others , they don't care if the there's snow and -30, they don't need to take bitch mints for pain , and they would not feel bad if they shot a coyote or wolf.....
    what are you talking about?
    I grew up in the prairies, and the very north of Manitoba, and the Yukon, and even your mighty peace.
    I know the cold, and I learned that there's better places to live.
    why would I feel bad if I shot a coyote or wolf?
    what makes you think I haven't?

Since the original question has been answered, he needs a hunter host and loses LEH privileges I will discuss Alberta. I spend a lot of time in Alberta for work, but BC is my home. BC is where my heart it is. It doesn't matter where as I have lived in PG, Terrace, FSJ, Kelowna and kamloops. Some places for as little as a couple of months but they became a home. After almost 2 straight years in Alberta for a job, just getting home for Christmas as much as I tried it never felt like home. Driving back, as soon as I see that border I smile. To the OP, family is important but if you aren't happy they won't be either. Lots of people are happy in Alberta, and I am grateful to Alberta for all the opportunities it has given me, but I can never call it home.

As for the debate about hunting, with the exception of whitetail (which are expanding and getting bigger in BC) the only thing Alberta beats BC in is upland bird and coyote hunting. For the most part it is equal, with in my experience BC having more species. Working there I have made several who friends grew up and hunt there, and less you are willing to travel to the North or live up there you will be waiting at least 5 years to hunt a quality MU or be knocking on dozens of doors. I would much rather get out every year in the hope (no matter how small) of finding a huge one then get an almost guarantee every 5. If I am just looking to fill my freezer it is a mute point. As for the LEH system, it has been discussed to death how it wouldn't work in BC but even in Alberta the ones in highest demand such as Bison are completely random same as here. And in other draws you could be waiting for over 20 years to some MUs depending on your luck and as more and more people enter the system.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Thanks everyone for your replies and info. As far as location goes it will be the Red Deer area. Sylvan Lake possibly. Don't know if I can handle the amount of people in Red Deer.
    As for hunting opportunities...the inlaws family own a ranch in someplace she calls Heartland...like the TV show. I'm guessing its High River from my google search. Not sure how the hunting is there but part of the bribe is permission to hunt.

Anyhow....I'm always up for an adventure. If it doesn't work out then we can move. Kids are little and won't be in school for another 4 years. Nothing set in stone yet regardless.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    what are you talking about?
    I grew up in the prairies, and the very north of Manitoba, and the Yukon, and even your mighty peace.
    I know the cold, and I learned that there's better places to live.
    why would I feel bad if I shot a coyote or wolf?
    what makes you think I haven't?
    I stand corrected. You are right I don't know you. You are in a league all your own.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I'd try blackfalds or reddeer before sylvan lake.. reddeer is a nice little city sylvan is a rig pig town that's population swells in the summer months. I stay far away from sylvan. It's nice but I would not live there.. I hunt north west of Bently and there's a lot of crown land within a hours drive of reddeer. If you have a ranch in the family near high river, chances are you won't hunt anyplace else lots of game down that way.. if you want more inside information on the reddeer area pm me and I'll do my best to answer your questions..

ok...good to know. Thanks. I'll take a look at Blackfalds.

been here 7 months now can tell you a few areas not to hunt.lol
    lots of wasted gas, but still good times with my son.
    the more people i meet the better i like my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    you clearly don't know me.
    I've lived in quite a bit of Canada.
    born in sask, lived in several towns in sask, lived in northern Manitoba, the Yukon, and several towns in b.c.
    there's a reason I skipped alberta.
    and I've been from coast to coast of Canada and from the bottom to the very top.
    believe me, I've gotten out.

alberta and sask are fine to visit, but if you love living in bc, you won't be happy out there.
    I have quite a few friends who have moved over there for work, and they wish they hadn't.
    and I went back and spent a year out there recently as well.
    but we made damn sure we came home every month or so, we just had to.
    and the second the rockies disappeared from sight in the rearview mirror every time we went back, we were almost depressed and powered through work so we could get back again.
    You are right, I don't know you however your arrogance (or ignorance since I can't tell if you are full of bs or not) is at times astounding.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

BC has host system tags and make sure you do it about two months in advance on the bright side you can host your brothers andput them in for draws in alberta have more fun hunting muleys and elk and whitetails in alberta much more game there then here goood luck where ever you hunt memories are always made and cherished ............
    bigben

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Dog View Post
    I've always done things by the book so if I have to pony up to pay for non-residence tags then so be it. Oh and I know its crazy...we both have solid middle income jobs in a cheap town. Seems ludicrous to me and I'm hoping its just sort of postpartum thing. That said...my wife and my family come before anything so if she really wants to make that move then so be that also.
    GOOD on You ! I wish more people would do the same ! Good LUCK ! RJ