Thread: good deer hunting rifle

Hybrid View

Re: good deer hunting rifle

Thats just crazy talk I shoot mgnum and non magnum calibers and each has thier place but i can assure you that for NA Game you do not need a magnum and if you want to start looking at ballistics and what is offered to the Std cartridge crowd then you will arrive at that conclusion yourself . Ask the folks that use both and i am pretty sure that they will say that you dont need a magnum

2. Site Sponsor

I think when starting into hunting you don't want to get a magnum to start with either. I know guys that have even hunted for quite a while that could shoot fairly well with their .308's and such, got a Weatherby because it was better for longer range and now they can't hit anything past 200 yards with their magnum because they are scared of it and flinch. You don't want to go down that path. It does happen to a few hunters, I know most of us can handle recoil........

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    Thats just crazy talk I shoot mgnum and non magnum calibers and each has thier place but i can assure you that for NA Game you do not need a magnum and if you want to start looking at ballistics and what is offered to the Std cartridge crowd then you will arrive at that conclusion yourself . Ask the folks that use both and i am pretty sure that they will say that you dont need a magnum
    Nobody needs a magnum to kill any North American game species, but if someone is willing to put up with all the kicking these guns do or needs to impress his peers go ahead and be happy.

But for a beginner I would, like Barracuda and other commonsense folks, suggest something friendlier and still able to do what any magnum can do. For me a deer, and all around caliber, that will do a fine number on ANY game animal is the .270. This caliber is easy to handle and ammunition in many configurations are available anywhere except on the moon.

Like I said, if someone wants to shot a magnum fine. But I have yet to see any solid proof of what a magnum can do that a normal deer rifle can’t do too. A magnum may hit harder it may shoot flatter than some of the smaller calibers (barley noticeable) but all it basically does is make an animal dead. So does a smaller caliber. A magnum does not make the animal more dead. There are no different degrees of dead just dead.

“Magnums are better”, simply laughable. I wonder how generations before us managed to kill deer to the point of extinction, among other species, without magnums.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"