Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What should I buy next?

Re: What should I buy next?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    The best thing you have is youth ,,,,,, highly underrated. Ditch that Crappy Tire saw and get a Silky "PocketBoy" folding saw from Amazon.ca
    I looked these up and they look very nice. It looks like a lot to choose from, both models and tooth count. Any suggestion which one would be best? I'm thinking in terms of cutting deer ribs, spine, and legs. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Good headlamp for hands free in dark, good boots as others said, packboard, compass and GPS if don’t already have them
    This.....I personally don't have a GPS, as I have a lot of experience navigating without one, but I can see how beneficial it would be when setting up trail cams....learn how to use a compass and navigate in general, and get yourself a waterproof map of the area your primarily hunting/hiking in....if you want some navigation tips, feel free to pm me...I also really like my outdoor edge knife, a good knife pays off...good raingear is huge...

Radio for my truck for safety and communication on logging roads

Yes this would be an intelligent new purchase, and unlike other items on your wish list it does not have to break the bank. They use to cost $300+, but you can actually get something that is not cheap for $30. Here is some information that I just posted on another thread:

The Baofeng two way radio are great. Yes they are Chinese (isn't most of our stuff from China anyway), but well designed, well rated. Even the amateur radio crowd love them. At $30 on Amazon everyone who goes on logging roads should own and use one. Here is my information from when I was looking to buy a two way radio capable of communicating at the RR logging roads frequencies (150.08-151.67 MHz). Note that standard two way radios do not communicate at these "commercial" frequencies.

This is actually written for BC. It gives the background of the new RR radio standard, why the baofeng is great, an how to program it.
    http://www.westcoastplacer.com/progr...bcs-backroads/
    http://www.westcoastplacer.com/gear-...andheld-radio/

Strongly recommend buying a 40 cm SMA antenna. The antenna that come with any two way radio are too small to receive and transmit over great distance. My experiance was that the standard antenna only covered the distance between two calls as I traveled up and another vehicle traveled down.

You don't need the cable to program the ratio with the RR frequencies. Using the instruction manual I was able to program the 35 RR + 5 channels in about one hour.

Quote Originally Posted by last light View Post
    I looked these up and they look very nice. It looks like a lot to choose from, both models and tooth count. Any suggestion which one would be best? I'm thinking in terms of cutting deer ribs, spine, and legs. Thanks in advance.
    I bought mine at KMS tools. Use a coarse blade for wood, fine tooth for bones. The silky saws (or any other jap saw) cuts on the pull stroke, and has enough set to the teeth that it opens a wider channel than the blade. Great if you're clearing alders off the trail, or cutting a standing dead for firewood. I carry a 10" blade pocket boy in my pack.

I would spend time and money on hunting if I was you.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_hunter View Post
    Radio for my truck for safety and communication on logging roads

Yes this would be an intelligent new purchase, and unlike other items on your wish list it does not have to break the bank. They use to cost $300+, but you can actually get something that is not cheap for $30. Here is some information that I just posted on another thread:

The Baofeng two way radio are great. Yes they are Chinese (isn't most of our stuff from China anyway), but well designed, well rated. Even the amateur radio crowd love them. At $30 on Amazon everyone who goes on logging roads should own and use one. Here is my information from when I was looking to buy a two way radio capable of communicating at the RR logging roads frequencies (150.08-151.67 MHz). Note that standard two way radios do not communicate at these "commercial" frequencies.

This is actually written for BC. It gives the background of the new RR radio standard, why the baofeng is great, an how to program it.
    http://www.westcoastplacer.com/progr...bcs-backroads/
    http://www.westcoastplacer.com/gear-...andheld-radio/

Strongly recommend buying a 40 cm SMA antenna. The antenna that come with any two way radio are too small to receive and transmit over great distance. My experiance was that the standard antenna only covered the distance between two calls as I traveled up and another vehicle traveled down.

You don't need the cable to program the ratio with the RR frequencies. Using the instruction manual I was able to program the 35 RR + 5 channels in about one hour.
    That's a great suggestion. That's cheap enough that I won't be scared to use it, and if I decide I want something different I'm not out a lot of money

Do you need to take a radio course in order to operate one of these? It's something I've been meaning to do, but haven't made the time for yet.

After good quality boots, id get a good hunting pack.

Another thing to consider (like what HarryToolips suggested) is to pick up a good compass and map of the area you want to hunt, and learn how to use them. Last year as a relatively new hunter, i took a compass and navigation course at MEC which was really good and free. It was just the basics, but very enjoyable. I am thinking of taking it again this year...

^^^^get lost just once and they'll listen..

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Do NOT replace your jacket, bright blue works just fine...

I've killed many animals without fancy camo.
    I tell new hunters if they are worried about ruining their good goretex, just buy a really cheap long sleeve camo shirt made from nylon and get it a few sizes too big so you can put it on top of your goretex. It’s not ideal, but it will protect you expensive arcteryx or Patagonia from Rios and (hopefully) blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I bought mine at KMS tools. Use a coarse blade for wood, fine tooth for bones. The silky saws (or any other jap saw) cuts on the pull stroke, and has enough set to the teeth that it opens a wider channel than the blade. Great if you're clearing alders off the trail, or cutting a standing dead for firewood. I carry a 10" blade pocket boy in my pack.

I would spend time and money on hunting if I was you.
    Thanks for the reply and for the valuable info, much appreciated. Will be looking for one for sure.