Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Advice for First Time Moose Hunter

Re: Advice for First Time Moose Hunter

Work things out among the three guys. What about this and what about that?
    How far from home do you want to drive in MU 5-01? Keep it mid to lower imho.
    You don't need to go way up past Canim Lake.
    Hunt all day from morning to night. Looking, calling, driving, walking a bit, watching for a black stump with light grey legs. Haha
    Morning hunts and success work together good, you got the bull moose down and out. Now you can work on it in daylight all the rest of the day.
    Evening is iffy for a new moose hunter to take a big moose down, the dark comes quick in the fall, it gets dark fast.
    Try to keep the hunts in the mornings, then later in the afternoon drive and look for moose and moose sign. If you do encounter a bull moose at this time, don't pull the trigger, mark spot and come back the next morning to that spot just at daybreak.
    Carving up a moose is not easy for a beginner, so think safety first, sharp knives and saws with warm blood on them get slippery. Use knife with a finger guard to stop your hand from slipping forward onto the sharp edge.
    Watch your partner if he tries to help cut the moose when you are, this is where a person can get cut by the others blade. Stop cutting let him go, work on holding the deer or moose in a good spot.
    Hunt early mornings til noon then scout til dark .. Scout look for moose and moose sign, mark it. Comebackinmorn.
    Jeldo ( "Big Data" ) "The Cloud"

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Fantastic pieces of advice, guys. Thanks all. Keep it coming. Thanks to those who've PM'ed me too. You've given my hunting partners and I lots to process and ideas on how we should work things.
    There seems to be some debate here about whether quartering or no-gut method is best for moose.
    When you quarter, you need a saw or sawzall generator and cords (or cordless sawzall and enough battery) that you get to pack to the moose, then you gut(20 min?) then skin and quarter. the 1/4s are then tied to your pack and you get to hump out 5 big loads and an extra load or 2 or 3 for all the extra gear. When you go gutless, you skin and chunk up the moose with a knife, each hip or shoulder fits neatly IN the cargo bag on a frame pack, (no tying or legs sticking out to the side) 6 smaller loads and you won't pay the butcher by the pound for the bone you can't eat! I have not yet met a hunter who has tried the gutless method and not prefered it. The down side is you will probably pack the extra weight of your knife back and forth every trip. Work smarter, not harder!!!
    Last edited by Moose Guide; 06-30-2012 at 10:16 PM.

^^^^
    What he said. X2

Early morning is best like I was saying earlier. Some guys shoot most of their moose by about 11 am.
    Drive roads until you see a moose, look for horns and decide quick like what your going to do?
    I would suggest if you see a bull take it, don't wait for another different one.
    Take care of the bull you got and do the meat up right for the table, from the start to finish.
    Nice and clean and fresh.
    Jp. Good luck

A lot of good advice from the guys so far.

If at all possible get it out whole, deal with the quartering at camp. Plenty of time to deal with the hair. A quality, sharp knife, a piece of rope, a fold down Wyoming saw, for splitting the sternum and pelvis. try to have the hind quarters lying below the front. Start from just above the pelvis, slipping your knife under the skin and cutting from the underside upwards to the throat. Split the sternum with the wyoming saw. it helps to have a leg or two anchored to a tree to keep them out of your way, or a buddy to assist. Sever the windpipe, with it in one hand cut what ever it is attached to as you peel everything towards the pelvis. Take your time it's not a race, and you don't want to cut yourself. Wild blood in a fresh cut stings. . When you have it separated from the rib cage and the majority of the gut pile laying an the hind quarter, split he pelvis by cutting a wedge from either side of the hind quarters down to the tail bone. Continue to pull the stomach etc., while you cut the the anus, etc. loose. It should roll nicely away. If you need to leave it there, while you arrange to get it out, prop the rib cage open with a sturdy stick between the cut sternum, it helps in the cooling. A quad will generally pull a moose. Tie it close, head first with a half hitch around the snout and horns tied to the rear rack to stabilize.

Early morning is always best. Slashes two or three years old are easy to spot them in. They're looking for willow shoots and the new growth has lots. A water source nearby is a bonus. I like to combine my calling with some brush racking, thrashing. It gets the boys worked up. A woeful cow call will also bring them in, be patient and move slow, sit listen and move some more. If you spot a cow watch closely a young bull may be waiting in the wings, close by

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

When you approach your downed bull moose in 5-01 for the first time, you won't believe how big a bull moose is in real life close up and laying on the ground. It will amaze you.
    Put your shot into the bulls boiler room, and don't forget there's six inches of hair standing up on the bulls neck and shoulders. Moose turns sideways put one low behind the shoulder BOOM! Reload get ready aim BANG!
    The bull will go down with a vital shot or two in the boiler room the heart area, CRACK!
    Don't shoot in the head, even tho it is the size of a coyote a shooter can misjudge the mass and wound it fatally.
    Then it will spin and spin and try to move out.
    Take a broadside shot about under two hundred yards or less .. when standing still.
    Under fifty yards moving, if it goes sideways. Aim right on spot follow, BAM!
    Jeldo

Hey, when I first started this post (and before it was inadvertently deleted) someone had responded with a youtube link for a moose caller that they recommended. Found it:Is there is a particular mechanical call people would recommend too?
    I'm getting pretty freakin' excited - 3 weeks to go. Scouting trip planned for this weekend.
    Last edited by sapper; 09-24-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: found some of the information I was looking for.

Well, here it is 5 years later and we are headed back to 5-01 but a little earlier in the season this time. I am just wondering if there are any new pointers that the seasoned moose hunters would like to give a rookie moose hunter: best manner in which to have success, your 5-01 honey-hole and what to do once the bull is down?
    Thanks in advance.
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

sap whad the ? It's bin 5 long years since yah got yer first thread, haha what happened for moose in those 5 years our good friend? Talk at us!
    Jelly Bones -- 5 long years -- what happened sap in those five with the moose sityah mick ation?

It's Sept da twenty turd folks, the moose rut is like ahhhhhhhh you knowww
    sap knows where it's at
    Jel -- moose rut on and going as we speak baybee.