Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Re: Rough news out of Squamish... dog shot.

Preamble: I have shot more than one wolf and my dog wears a high visibility vest in the bush

Stop putting this on the dog owner about wearing a high visibility vest or keeping it on a leash - who the hell here keeps a dog on a leash in the bush.

This is all on the hunter who pulled the trigger.

Don't care how bad he feels. Not going to defend him just because he is another hunter. Your responsibility to know your target.

Killing animals is emotional, fock-up and it is going to get bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sad part is folks, the media will never produce/investigate all the facts and provide that to the public.
    If the hunter was inside 400m of the highway, he is already in the wrong.
    Facts that are missing are:
    1)Wolves are on the increase, and for management reasons, hunters have been given more opportunity to put them down.
    2)Hunting season is in full swing, and many of the general public forget that...they can no longer let their dogs loose to roam around during walks (not that I think they are even allowed to let dog off leash, but I could be wrong)
    3)Public needs to be aware that Preds like Wolf are open all year....lots of places anyways.
    4)The dog had a collar, but is it easily visible?, is it black?....husky/malamutes have pretty thick hair, and at times even my dogs collar was not easily seen to be present...just saying.
    5)The owner failed to keep dog on leash, but more importantly, didn't give it much thought, and did not have any sort of
    high color bib or even ribbons on the dog.
    6)The dog "does look wolf like", more so then just about any breed, and their are lots of "white coloured wolves"....lots!
    7)That she made a statement that the "dog does not look like a deer" is true, but, the hunter probably did assume it was a wolf and not a deer to begin with (just makes it look like we are all trigger happy fools).
    That the dog was so close, and was probably just in front of the hunter (if that is a true fact), the hunter probably had a moment of "oh shit! concern" possibly for his own safety....maybe...(I have had bears and cougars at 10ft, in just a blink of an eye, but held off on the trigger,but that was me, and at any moment could have been the same reaction as the hunter in this case)

I think the only charge the hunter could face is "hunting and discharging a firearm inside the 400m rule of a highway"
    Maybe another charge of unsafe discharge etc???
    But, the media will never look into all those facts above, and they sure as hell won't "advertise" that on any public tv channel.
    Media loves the "dirty laundry" part of the story.....they do not like the "justification" part of stories....
    Justification requires mental thought....Dirty Laundry invokes Emotion, and thus "Sells"....
    Lets face it, media is a business, and some have agendas directed in one direction more so.
    Some Media has an "Anti hunting" direction quite often, probably do to the folks doing the reporting, and already being
    biased against hunting in general.

So, no matter how much we sit here and Slam the story....it does not matter....damage done!

This is all with the assumption that the guy made a mistake, and thought it was a wolf. It is entirely possible that he was confronted by a large pack of dog, with some of them acting in a suspect fashion, and then one of them started towards him.

400m closure or not, if I am thinking that I am about to be attacked by a pack of dogs, there will be a lot of brass laying on the ground around me.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Preamble: I have shot more than one wolf and my dog wears a high visibility vest in the bush

Stop putting this on the dog owner about wearing a high visibility vest or keeping it on a leash - who the hell here keeps a dog on a leash in the bush.

Don't care how bad he feels. Not going to defend him just because he is another hunter. Your responsibility to know your target.

Having owned Huskies, and out and about around camp, during hunting season, you can bet your ass I had bibs or high coloured ribbons on them at all times.
    On leash while hunting, and off leash around camp.
    Their family, and I do what it takes to keep them as safe as possible.

That really sucks about the loss of ones pet/ part of family. On the news last night they showed a picture of the dog and looked like it got shot on its side and had a collar on. The hunter needs his eyes checked badly, they said he wasn't far away when it happened. I bet hes the type of guy that shoots at anything that is barley vizable in the bush. Scary to think of people like that when your walking through the bush in camo but still very easy to tell your not an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post

Thank you for the common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Nice work caddis guy this backs my theory.

the whole deal is a hippy as con..

The hunting community is not that big if it was a regular guy someone on here would no him.
    I can't take full credit on that. Another HBC member did most of the digging and pointed me towards the findings.

It doesn't necessary prove anything, but gives some insight into the personality.

All we know for certain is a dog was killed and that is being used to call for donations to lobby for hunting bans and protection of wolves. Anything else is speculation.

I still hope it investigated (by police, not the media) from all angles. That said, RCMP/CO's might be reluctant to look into the background of the hunter or any connection between the hunter and the dog owner, as they could get smeared for "victim blaming" or something like that by the media.

The situation could have transpired exactly as she claims or maybe there is more to it.

As Bugle said, we will probably never know. I think the card as been dealt. It comes at a bad time with political environment. The media (CBC, Global, etc) is already rallying the masses and the NDP will happily appease them since according to their own admission, laws can be put in place for social acceptance. Perfect storm.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
    RJ, her go fund me now says the dog was 20 feet FROM HER. Her youtube video says that it was shot "point blank". Something doesn't seem right.
    YUP Smells very FISHY this storey for sure ! No one is going to shoot that dog at 20 ft or 10 ft or point blank unless it was POSSIBLY attacking them or at the Least being very Agressive ! jmo RJ

It doesn't matter the distance, it's still the hunters decision that's at question, but really, at that distance, someone is not good at measuring right, and it's a brutal mistake,but 20ft, and she was 10ft away ??? We need Bill Good to look into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhd7eSchNk4

Over $11k raised on the Gofundme page.....

The change.org campaign is running full strength and being signed by people all around the world too.

This whole chain of events is so greasy. I hope they are looking into the possibility this was orchestrated.