Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Re: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

saw some WT (3) mixed in with mulies (~10) on a hillside near canim lake...when we disturbed them the mulies hopped up over the hill but the WT's ran to the timber/creek

I have seen a couple occasion where WT/MD were hanging out together.
    Both in the same area around Cache Creek and a few years apart.
    One time, it was 2 WT does and 4 MD Does all bedded together. (side by side)

Other time it was 2x 2point bucks.
    1 was WT and other MD and they spent the whole day together (spotted them several times that day)
    And another group saw them together on a different day.

So, they do seem to intermingle.
    Maybe in some areas they adapt to doing this while other areas they avoid each other?
    Thus the mutations and hybrids in only a few areas??

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I have read the theory you are talking about and also the theory that BT are the original deer and both MD and WT are just generic mutations of the original BT. There is a few other theories about the relationship of North America’s deer species but I am still on my first cup of coffee and can’t remember them right now

I actually had to look into WT/BT hybrid possibilities when you posted this thread because I could not remember if it was much of an issue. The information I could find was out of Washington and the verdict was it was the same situation as WT/MD hybrids it happens but not often. The offspring that they have found were also sterile

Maybe once I have some more coffee I will remember more lol
    Hybrids are not always sterile, but there is a decrease in fertility within these offspring.
    Even when fertile hybrids survive the lower survival rates due to compromised predator escape physiology...
    Reduced reproductive abilities of hybrid deer is still one of the main causes of WT dominance over Mule Deer.

Who's your Daddy?
    It's almost always the WT.

WT deer not only outcompete and potentially replace MD by simply having higher reproductive rates (greater number of twins and triplets),
    MD end up with even lower reproductive rates where hybridization occurs as it is female MD that are producing the majority of these young *******s.

Humankind has known and followed this strategy in war for eons.
    If you can't kill 'em, F' em.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    saw some WT (3) mixed in with mulies (~10) on a hillside near canim lake...when we disturbed them the mulies hopped up over the hill but the WT's ran to the timber/creek
    And the WT's don't seem to stop to look back until they are far away or in cover, if at all. BT's often won't even run if they don't think you have seen them, or sometimes even when you obviously have. When they do run, they pretty much always look back within 50-70 yards. Mule deer seem similar in that regard. Different strategies for sure. I can see how the WT method works better in semi-open areas.

A region 2 WT season would be awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    A region 2 WT season would be awesome!!
    Besides the fact the are more prolific under pressure and that'll just increase the pace they rape and pillage the BT.

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    In the event of an apocalyptic happening there will be two creatures that will survive.
    Cockroaches and whitetails.
    And coyotes!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Besides the fact the are more prolific under pressure and that'll just increase the pace they rape and pillage the BT.
    So leave the population of WT's alone so they can breed with no hunting pressure? I don't see the logic

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    So leave the population of WT's alone so they can breed with no hunting pressure? I don't see the logic
    I was just pointing out that it's a damned If you do, damned if you dont situation. I've personally harvested several white tail does in the last few years and will continue to do so because they are tasty ^^

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I was just pointing out that it's a damned If you do, damned if you dont situation. I've personally harvested several white tail does in the last few years and will continue to do so because they are tasty ^^
    Makes sense. I am the same. If the season is legal for antlerless, I will have no issue harvesting a doe. I have never harvested a whitetail yet, but I plan to this year.