Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Question... from a rookie

Mule Deer Question... from a rookie

Hoping to get some advice from experienced Mule Deer hunters if I'm doing thing right or wrong. I never had a mentor, and my friends seem to be on opposite spectrums of hunting tactics. This is my first year and I'd love to hear your take. I have read some of the forum posts, and tried to apply it - I will be going out periodically and hopefully make adjustments based on any feedback. ALL FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!

I went out with my brother to over 1700m elevation at 6am in MU-8 to hopefully find a big buck. We saw tracks, then a doe and 2 fawn right away, so parked and watched them move down the ridge a little into the forest.

We decided to sit and glass in hopes a big buck might be around and be coming for her. Wind was coming from North, down the mountain - where we expected he might be following from. After about 3 min, a jeep with 2 other hunters came on the same road and I had to move the truck, they were going up ahead of us, to the lake in the area, which we would also be hiking to. They were friendly, and we didn't put up a fuss hunting the same area, lots of cut block around.

We decided to go up the ridge, with the doe's last location still in sight, walking in the crunchy snow, into the wind. We glassed as we climbed, and didn't see anything, no sign. We made it to the tree-line and I knew the lake was behind. There was a trail to go through, so we decided to follow the trail, which was pretty narrow through the think wood, but only 500 meters deep to get to the lake. No sign except for some deer tracks that crossed the trail in the middle. To follow those tracks would mean smashing through trees, somewhat dense, but thin trees, so maybe doable - but it wouldn't be silent.

We decided to carry on to the lake because we didn't know which direction the tracks were going after crossing the trail. We arrived at the lake edge and nothing, no sign of anything. We decide to walk the edge of the lake until we can circle back, and run into the new hunters we saw, who were sitting prone ready to take anything coming to the lake in a sparsely treed meadow section. We wave and leave them alone and head back to the area of the doe we saw. Hiked back down while stopping to glass periodically. We probably hiked a 3 km perimeter up and down to where we started, with some fair elevation on the way up.

We see the doe and her two fawns again, as she's pretty chill and NOT spooked by us at all. She even crosses right in front of my truck. We decide, since there's lots of fresh snow and cut blocks around, to go drive around until we see some tracks for a new starting point. It's probably 9-10am at this point, after a good 3 hours or so in the first location.

Nada, only see some hare and coyote tracks. Glass a few ridges and nothing. We go up to almost 1800 meter elevation, and I turn around because I don't have snow tires on yet, and it's getting way deeper. Had to head back to town as I only had time for a morning hunt, so we had to stop around noon - 1 ish

So questions are:

Should we have stay put in the section knowing we had a doe in area?
    Should we have split when the other hunters came in area?
    Are Bucks interested in a doe that has a couple fawns, or will they leave her alone?
    Even though it wasn't possible that day, should we try the same area an hour or two before sunset?
    Should we have tried to stalk in the forest?
    Am I too high for this time of year?
    Or are bucks still high elevation?

Any advice is super appreciated. Anything useful that I learn I promise to pay forward. Super stoked hunting, regardless of the outcome. Would love to fill my freezer, but I also enjoy just getting out there!

Cheers!

Last edited by joshbazz; 10-29-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule Deer Question... from a rookie

if you see does stick near them in the next couple weeks. look for sign in the snow, they will start moving down lower this time of year. most of all, nobody can give you sound advice based on one morning hunt in which you saw pretty much nothing. you need to spend time in the bush to learn where the deer are moving during different times of the year. and in my years of hunting I have shot one "big buck" from my truck (not literally)...feet to the ground my friend, find sign, find deer, keep the wind right, be quiet. best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    if you see does stick near them in the next couple weeks. look for sign in the snow, they will start moving down lower this time of year. most of all, nobody can give you sound advice based on one morning hunt in which you saw pretty much nothing. you need to spend time in the bush to learn where the deer are moving during different times of the year. and in my years of hunting I have shot one "big buck" from my truck (not literally)...feet to the ground my friend, find sign, find deer, keep the wind right, be quiet. best of luck
    Thanks, ok sounds good. I'll keep circling back, and try some evenings as well. I understand it'll take more than one morning, possibly more than one season (hopefully not, but heard that happens) of hunting, and I'm prepared for that. I appreciate the feedback

Also to clarify, I like being OUTSIDE, far from my truck to hunt if need be, though no judgement on other's preference. I enjoy being outside, and it's more exercise than I usually get with busy work and family life!

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Yeah kinda tough on a one time hunt. Hit the height of land and glass may turn something up. Do some hiking later on the morning. I just came back from a couple hour hunt in a spot I know hold whittails ( not a lot mind you) and saw nothing. Some fresh droppings. But it is what it is. Tried rattling but nothing. Great hike though
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Is this area you're hunting kown to hold lots of deer? Or is it just a new spot you thought to try?

usually a doe will not have fawns with her if she has a buck chasing. Bucks will be with several does that may have fawns around at this time of year waiting for one to go into estrus, then he will take her aside and pass on his genetics. If you see groups of does, look for bucks bedded in nearby timber edges, they will be close. If you see a single doe on the move, stick with her. Of course there are always situations you dont expect like seeing 2 large bucks still hanging out together this time of year with no does in sight.....

Bro, good on you for getting out there. You’re not too high. Remember this, bucks are always the last to leave the high country if they leave at all. Sex and food sources are what drives them to move. They’re about to expose themselves more than any other time of the year strictly due to the rut so seeing them during the day is not uncommon. Find sign and stay on it or stick around the area. Sign is buck rubs, tracks and lots of does. The big boys got big by being cagey so hunt the fringes and go where other people won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by GoOutside View Post
    Is this area you're hunting known to hold lots of deer? Or is it just a new spot you thought to try?
    No, this is a new spot, don't know much - except what we saw, a doe with 2 fawn...

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    usually a doe will not have fawns with her if she has a buck chasing. Bucks will be with several does that may have fawns around at this time of year waiting for one to go into estrus, then he will take her aside and pass on his genetics. If you see groups of does, look for bucks bedded in nearby timber edges, they will be close. If you see a single doe on the move, stick with her. Of course there are always situations you dont expect like seeing 2 large bucks still hanging out together this time of year with no does in sight.....
    I think there may have been rub marks in the woods along the trail to the lake, if I remember... but we only saw this one doe and her fawns, no other deer in the area, or sign for that matter, that we could see.

I'll have to spend more time to see if we find anymore sign.

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton

Hmmm not enough snow to push does, fawns out..let alone bucks.the logging cut has a machine there..if working mon..fri..move along but it has the open to hold food..this time of year..find does..babysit em..
    Goodluck
    Steven

One suggestion I would have is to slow way down while walking/hiking and glassing. If you covered 3km in 3 hours, you're moving too fast in my opinion.
    Every situation is different of course, but when I'm in an area that I'm convinced has deer, I will take one or two slow and quiet steps, then glass for sometimes 15 minutes or more before taking another step or two.
    It can be painful as hell (especially when it's cold!), but I can't remember the number of times I've glassed the same area over and over, when all of a sudden I see the twitch of a tail or ear from a buck...often very close...

Best of luck!