Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking down a cougar.

Walking down a cougar.

Well, this winter is gunna be interesting for me so I have this crazy idea....again. I want to walk down a cat on snow shoes, I mean find a good track in the pre dawn hours in fresh snow and follow it till I see the cat at the end, cougar or lynx. It sounds like a lot of effort and it is, I tried this a few winters a go but didnt have lots of time on my hands although I did manage to get close, one lynx went up a huge fir and I just could not spot it, and twice I was within 50yds of cougars but they caught on to me following them, circled back through thick stuff and found my tracks on theirs then put some serious ground between us. I use faber traditional snow shoes, they are silent with no metallic or plastic noises and float like a boat, I can walk a long damn way, and I have a lot of time this winter as Covid will really cut down on my business. I know hounds are literally designed for this job and my buddy has a few, I will also try calling but Im up for a challenge.

So who has done it before?
    tried?
    Who thinks Im crazy......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Walking down a cougar.

Enjoy it while you can, I used to walk down deer, hip replacement and too old to do it now. Sounds like a great adventure.

Is this not called HUNTING?

Andy Russell in one of his books mentions Joe Cosley hunting cougars in winter by following their tracks on snowshoes until he was close enough to shoot them . Maybe he did but Joe was prone to not letting the truth get in the way of a good story . Cougars are smart and will head for rough country or just as likely be following you after awhile. Anyway Joe was a real character and long time trapper . https://www.parkcabinco.com/blog/201...-of-joe-cosley

Wear one of those hats that has eyes on the back. Just in case they end up tracking you looking for an opportunity to feast on you.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Sounds like fun. Let us know how it works out
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

if you find a kill that the cat has made and hunting from there will dramatically increase your chances of seeing the cat. goodluck
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Well, this winter is gunna be interesting for me so I have this crazy idea....again. I want to walk down a cat on snow shoes, I mean find a good track in the pre dawn hours in fresh snow and follow it till I see the cat at the end, cougar or lynx. It sounds like a lot of effort and it is, I tried this a few winters a go but didnt have lots of time on my hands although I did manage to get close, one lynx went up a huge fir and I just could not spot it, and twice I was within 50yds of cougars but they caught on to me following them, circled back through thick stuff and found my tracks on theirs then put some serious ground between us. I use faber traditional snow shoes, they are silent with no metallic or plastic noises and float like a boat, I can walk a long damn way, and I have a lot of time this winter as Covid will really cut down on my business. I know hounds are literally designed for this job and my buddy has a few, I will also try calling but Im up for a challenge.

So who has done it before?
    tried?
    Who thinks Im crazy......
    Yes have done it, best thing is to learn tracks if your plan is on shooting one. Learn the difference between male and female size tracks, dont want to be shooting a female
    that is out hunting and left the kittens behind.

Well good luck. Keep a fixed blade knife on your belt because if that cat circles around and hits you from behind it's going to be up high and you'll drop your rifle. You'll need your knife to kill the cat before it gets you.

Man I wish I had the strength to even think about that kind of hunting adventure.

I'm guessing a coon skin hat will help lure the cat to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Monashee View Post
    Andy Russell in one of his books mentions Joe Cosley hunting cougars in winter by following their tracks on snowshoes until he was close enough to shoot them . Maybe he did but Joe was prone to not letting the truth get in the way of a good story . Cougars are smart and will head for rough country or just as likely be following you after awhile. Anyway Joe was a real character and long time trapper . https://www.parkcabinco.com/blog/201...-of-joe-cosley
    Ive read pretty well everything by Andy Russell but missed his mentioning of Joe Cosley. Joe was indeed a colorful character who lived an extraordinary and interesting life at a time I wish I was alive in.

Thanks for that link. A most enjoyable read.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"