Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Re: Tenting in Grizzly territory

Quote Originally Posted by J_06 View Post
    Pots and pans on the coolers, rifle and a dog. What's grizz country, isn't that called BC? You guys from the lower mainland sound like tourists, electric fences!? Eating miles from camp?! They 100% command respect but really guys whats next, dig a crocodile filled moat? I've had 10x more trouble in my life with black bears than grizzlys. Not many of you would make good hikers or alpine hunters, too scared it sounds like.
    There's nothing wrong with being cautious. Preparing to avoid the worst, is always good advice, especially while being somewhere FAR from civilization.
    Last edited by 375shooter; 07-26-2016 at 08:12 AM.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    "Good hikers or alpine hunters"........well, may I ask how many of those "Pots and pans" and "coolers", you carry as a "hiker" and "alpine hunter"??????
    HAHAHAHAHAHA my thoughts too!
    Last edited by Fred1; 07-26-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by J_06 View Post
    Pots and pans on the coolers, rifle and a dog. What's grizz country, isn't that called BC? You guys from the lower mainland sound like tourists, electric fences!? Eating miles from camp?! They 100% command respect but really guys whats next, dig a crocodile filled moat? I've had 10x more trouble in my life with black bears than grizzlys. Not many of you would make good hikers or alpine hunters, too scared it sounds like.
    Not sure where you've been hunting but every Black Bear I've encountered close up has turn and ran once they winded me or got a good look at me.......Grizzly Bears on the other hand seem to have a different mind set, and we have dealt with many in the last 10 years where we elk hunt in the Kootenays, only one has needed a dirtnap !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Absolutely they have a different mind set. I have guided for, shot, tracked (wounded ones too) and have been able to watch many Gbears in the wild. I had my face to face Gbear encounter last July at work. And I tell you what, when you know and have witnessed what they are capable of and one stands up six feet away and looks down on you, it rattles you... He turned and ran... whew! I guess I could have fought him off with my IPad... So my far from expert advice is to pay attention out there, see whats going on, learn the signs, and try and minimize any unplanned, unwanted or unexpected encounters. Fear them? Not really, but I sure as hell respect them.
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being cautious. Preparing to avoid the worst, is always good advice, especially while being somewhere FAR from civilization.
    SAGE ADVICE!

RE: DOGS
    308 LOVER (LT)'s dog named Shadow has been our camp watchdog since he was very young. We've never had a bear approach any of our camps even with hanging game nearby.
    A few years ago 2 large wolves walked right through our camp in the middle of the night(large tracks in the snow). Not even a whisper from the dog!
    Also while sitting by the camp fire having a coffee after lunch, Eve(eagle eyes) spotted a big 4 pointer walking by only about 60 yards away. Our guns were too far away & we were too late. The dog was nearby but didn't notice the deer's presence.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Dogs do help..IF its the correct dog..if the dog decides to run back to his master..he will tuck in behind you or betweenyour legs for protection..he may fit..but the grizzly sure the heck wont..big diff between grizz and black bear..most blackbers shot are under 200 pounds..mostly hide and fat...grizzly is double that mostly muscle and claws..and attitude.
    Lots of outdoors guys and gals here with thousands of nights spent outdoors..we have very few problems reported..lets not over dwell on hazzards..do your best., be prepared and enjoy your r&r...

Cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    and the pistol grip for........well, pistols.
    It's called practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Last year was the first time in about 7 years we didn't have any bears in Camp up the Bull, we've had some really persistent bears in that area in the past.
    i have only hunted there 3 times for 10-15 day stretches (2012, 2013 &2015) first year there we didnt see any but did see some tracks...saw 3 grizz (momma and two cubs) just across the river and down a bit from camp the 2nd year...... last year a grizz stole a deer off the meat pole and came back every night after that....the dog would bark and wake us up..we would tell it to shut up and when it would still bark after being told to shut up my buddy would get up and blast a few shells from the shotgun...we had a trail cam set up on the path to camp from the broken meat pole and we have several videos of the bear triggering the cam followed by dog barks then "Shadow, shut up!!" then bang bang....i never got out of bed for any of it as i was too tired to chase bears away and knew my buddy was more "sensitive" to bears and would scare it off...

after thinking about it for awhile and seeing all the videos of the bear coming to camp i remembered a few times the first year we were woken up to dog barks and didn't react other than to tell the dogs to shut up(we had two with us the first year)...

we also saw another one last year up a spur road in amongst some horses that were left there to graze...we drove up the road and spotted the horses first not knowing what they were and then we spotted the cub on the road near the horses...as we got a bit closer we could see there were about 6 or so horses on both sides of the road and so we stopped to figure out what the heck was going on......

the horses stopped looking our way and went back to grazing in spite of the fact that the cub ran off the road and stopped in among a group of 3 horses....we could still not believe that the horses were essentially just ignoring the cub....when we were sure there was no mother near by we rolled up the road a bit further and the cub went a bit further away but seemed to really want to stay with the horses...we stopped again to just watch the situation a bit longer until a man and his son rolled up on a quad and chatted with us for a bit...we talked about the scenario but as he pulled up on the quad the cub ran off quite a bit further to the end of the clearcut and into the thick timber..his son really wanted to see the cub so i walked in about half way to the timber to try and spot it (locked and loaded of course) and i did catch another glimpse of the cub but that was it....

it was a very strange situation perhaps the strangest thing i have ever seen in the woods....i wondered if the cubs mother had been killed by the one that was visiting our camp (or shot by the horse owners) and if it had adopted the horses as a new mother (or if it was staying close to where its mother died)...i also wondered if it was surviving by eating horse turd (or not)...nothing i wondered made much sense

pack alarm...for the price, its awesome. I have 2!
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    pack alarm...for the price, its awesome. I have 2!
    Yup Like the idea of those!
    "Pimpin' aint easy"