Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How stormy is too stormy?

Re: How stormy is too stormy?

Quote Originally Posted by BiohazardHands View Post
    I appreciate everyone’s responses. We will be attempting an overnighter and braving the weather. Is there any basic strategy when in that terrible weather? High tide will be our friend at first light and lots of rain and wind. We will be blinded up in a small tree batch in a little bay. We don’t have many decoys (6 total) so we are limited in that aspect and so far I’m only good at the basic quack and half assed at the greeting call. Last week the basic quack was all it took in mediocre weather.
    Which estuary will you be hunting? I plan on heading out Saturday morning and may be able to help.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-01-2020 at 10:56 AM.

First it rained
    Then it blew
    Then it frizz
    Then it snew

Primetime for sure. Quote is from a Zack Taylor book.

The worse it gets the better it gets.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

It's too windy when you shoot against the wind and you get hit by your own shot, it's only happened once.

Birds land into the wind so you should have the wind pushing the shot not blowing it back at you. But I tAke your point.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Well I confess I wussed out yesterday. Wasn’t feeling it and the waves were coming in pretty hard over the bow. Maybe if I had been with a better boatman I would have done it. Ended up doing some maintenance, arranging some fixed lines and cleaning otter shit off my boat and the dock. Not as bad a day as it sounds

I was also planning on heading out for some Ducks yesterday but the wind changed my mind, it was blowing fairly hard so a day of watching the Canadian Jrs win Gold followed by the Seahawks win over the Eagles kind of made up for it!

I went out on Sunday when the wind at Brunswick was 30k. It was fun! The birds were whipping around and the decoys looked very active.

A couple years ago I went out during King Tide combined with a gale and that was a near disaster but still had a good story. We had to reset three times because the tide drove us nearly halfway to the dyke. Same year a cloud of hundreds of snowies was rolling overhead my buddy (while I had already packed up) and he shot and reloaded twice and couldn't bring down a single one even as they hovered because he had no idea where his shots were going in the wind.

Went out on Tuesday. Wow the surf was throwing salt water right into my face. Wind was taking away my breath. Could hardly see anything from the droplets on my glasses. My decoys were sure bucking around and I'm not certain I got them all back. Glad my waders and uppers stood up well to it as I was pretty comfy inside, it was just annoying to contend with.

By mid-day I retreated to drier land with my sled as it was in danger of breaking free from my anchor with all my gear. Through it all, ducks were trying to find 'ports in the storm'. I was able to bring down a pintail and a widgeon. Was glad I got those two as I was skunked my previous day and would have hated to end the season on a zero. May go out one last time tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Birds land into the wind so you should have the wind pushing the shot not blowing it back at you. But I tAke your point.
    They also take off into the wind.