Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks / tripods / bipods

Re: Shooting sticks / tripods / bipods

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    Spartan is coming out with a new tripod with a center column that works for your rifle and optics called the"ascent" supposed to be out soon. But it's a do it all tripod where you can remove the legs for trekking poles as well. https://javelinbipod.com/collections.../ascent-tripod definitely pricey though $$$$$
    Spartan makes great stuff but I would sooner just put their shooting yoke on a quick release for your existing tripod.

I have to agree with above^. Bipods are great for open country but ask yourself how often you are going to use one and what country you typically hunt.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Personally, I always have 2 things with me. My SG pack (even hunting whitetails where I walked right from the house) and a pair of carbon fiber hiking poles. The hiking poles are either used, on my pack, or in my hand with the wrist loops hooked over the top of the other pole. Spread them apart and you have a stable platform to put your binoculars over, or put your rifle over them. Not sure how many animals I have killed that way, but its a fair number. Last couple elk were shot like that, as well as some deer and maybe a couple dozen coyotes. Fast, easy to set up, and I always have them with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onchy View Post
    Those look really slick. Did you have to order from states? Quick look seems thats the only option.
    Yep, but it was a painless process, once they finally had stock.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated! Going to do a bit more digging and weigh my options a bit.

I use the primos hunting stick, excellent concept made with cheap Chinese crap quality. If you baby your gear it probably be fine, I’d pay 5x what I paid to have that set up made with high end quality parts.

Quote Originally Posted by lwing View Post
    I use the primos hunting stick, excellent concept made with cheap Chinese crap quality. If you baby your gear it probably be fine, I’d pay 5x what I paid to have that set up made with high end quality parts.
    i agree, I have three sets, me-wife and little fella and they all fail. When the temp gets cooler, like during most fall hunting seasons, they won’t stay extended. Most times one of the legs wants to slide back in and you have a wreck.

The price of a high end light tripod for glassing and shooting is the same as a mid tier rifle sans scope. How many guns can you shoot at once? Messing around with an ARCA rail rifle chassis has opened my eyes. 1 MOA steady anywhere at a height from 24”-60” with a good light collapsable tripod changes things. A chassis with a “barricade stop magwell” means almost anything is a solid rest.

I've been using Primos shooting stick for years . There also great for glassing ,just rest your binos on top and it takes the fatigue of trying to hold your binos up for long periods of time away.I've used mine in many shooting situations [while hunting] with great success. Never experienced the Triger sticking , and I've hunted with them in lots of extreme weather conditions. A great hunting asset IMO.

Anyone have any experience with either the gen 2 or 3 primos sticks? Seems like some folks are having issues with them in the durability department.

Also looking at the bog death grip. Looks durable, but heavy.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Good video on YouTube, "home-made shooting sticks" fella uses a couple lengths of dowel
    and a Prussik knot. Make your own length sticks and only cost about 10 bucks. Can slide the knot and adjust the position.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost