Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cougars...

Re: Cougars...

Ive followed more than a few cougars on my snow shoes. Get out there really early and find a fresh set of tracks and get on them. I know Ive got close to a few but they always figure out that something is following them and once they figure it out they are gone. Closest I know I got was within 50yds in thick bush. I followed its tracks a few kms then it circled back over mine in a pretty tight circle, followed mine a few yds then it started to cover ground and put some distance between us. Followed another cat 9 km before it crossed over the coq, you could see where it was stopping and looking back on its trail to see what was following it. Cougars are the top of the food chain out here and they are as smart as animals get, I think more cougars come into calls than people think but they stay hidden and then disapear. Heres a good video that shows they will come in to calls, but they hide until they are certain of their quary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrzbqiurbus&t=104s

Has anyone successfully combined ice fishing remote lakes with predator calling / hunting? Sitting in a warm hut and calling would make the long waits much better ��

Had a lynx walk right up to the hut while fishing last winter, no calling and no gun, it just ambled on by not a care in the world.

Hmmm could you use a deer call with a deer decoy . Maybe fawn bleat . Is that legal ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

YES and YES
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Hmmm could you use a deer call with a deer decoy . Maybe fawn bleat . Is that legal ?
    Arctic Lake
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    I think more cougars come into calls than people think but they stay hidden and then disapear. Heres a good video that shows they will come in to calls, but they hide until they are certain of their quary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrzbqiurbus&t=104s
    I don't know much about cats but I've always suspected this... calling and you hear a single snap or maybe thump-thump, then silence and nothing in sight. Sneaky deer or sneaky cat, who knows.

I've never tried to hunt a cougar but given their range I'd look for fresh tracks if possible and set up and e-caller along with a bunny decoy. I would keep a distance from the caller to decrease the odds of getting busted. I think being where the sound is coming from would be a tough game.

Anyway good luck. Going after a cougar without hounds is a little unorthodox and will take some magic but you seem quite capable of setting your mind to such things and getting them done... like someone who would try a new video game in "hard mode"

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Has anyone successfully combined ice fishing remote lakes with predator calling / hunting? Sitting in a warm hut and calling would make the long waits much better ��
    I know guys who get the odd coyote by bringing a rifle and mouth call ice fishing but I think it’s more they just bring it a long just in case an opportunity comes along. These guys don’t do this when they are serious about pred hunting for they day

Could always try but would not be expecting high success rates

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I’m interested in this thread. I want to call in a cat this winter where I hunt. As with you,
    the deer population has plummeted where I hunt too
    Agree with you

I think it’s going to be harder than I originally thought but I’ll get out there with the foxpro and try also with a mouth call. Some snow would be nice in the valley right about now