Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Predator Thread

Re: Official 2017 Predator Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sausage lover View Post
    [URL=http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sausagelover1/media/DSCN0919_zps8rsrmfmt.jpg.html][/URL]Some pics from today
    You guys need to watch out hunting the grasslands so close to town. I have called in families walking the dog up there. A little bit of a bummer when a labradoodle is making a beeline for your decoy. The kids are a little shocked when a guy in camo pops up with a rifle, lol.

The mojo critter works great. I would have a hard time sitting without it. I watched this guy running in to eat the mojo and he wasn't worried about anything else. A great tool to distract a dog.

took my 223 for a walk this morning after breakfast. Beautiful sunny day, -2c. Spot a coyote bedded out in the field at approx 500 yards. Left my rangefinder at home...sneak up a bit, it stands up. I estimate 325-350 yards. Boom. Miss. It runs off a bit but not far. Aim a bit higher. Boom. Miss. Boom, Miss. Boom. Miss. Out of ammo. Coyote stops, looks back at me. Knows I am out of ammo. I bark a few times and it starts walking towards me. I keep walking towards it, barking. Ended up getting to within 75 yards of it. My range estimation game was off today, I think first shot was closer to 200y that 350...........
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Well your in the action anyway. Went wolf hunting today for a few hours and not a peep. Beauty day though! Sign is there but nothing responded to distress calls.
    I seem to never get wolves coming in on a distress call, last two wolves ive taken I howled them in. Going to head out next weekend and hope to connect~!

Headed out at first light this morning. First stand I started with some coyote howls. 7 minutes in, one shows up on the horizon at 500 yards. I switched to rabbit distress and it started to come a little. A second coyote appeared, and the two did a bit of posturing and took off to the west out of sight. A third coyote is in front of us 400 yards out, loping right to left and it disappeared as quick as it appeared. Seen about 60 deer, one nice mule deer still packing both sides.

Second stand nothing. Third stand lots of wolf tracks from a few days ago, hiked in a couple KM and set up on a straight stretch of a cutblock road. No action. Fourth stand heard a bunch of coyotes howling a mile away so we drove the truck closer and set up. Fifth stand (noon) started with howls and some jackrabbit distress, 8 mins in a coyote pops up about 250 yards away. It looked behind itself so I thought maybe more were coming. It slipped through the fence and starting loping towards us to our 9 o'clock. Never did stop for a shot, disappeared behind a rise and was gone. Went a short ways and set up again, no action
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

frusterating todbartell, I have been out a couple of times the last week, stewart lk way did not see anything but the area is filled with wolf and coyote tracks. wish I was a bit better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    I seem to never get wolves coming in on a distress call, last two wolves ive taken I howled them in. Going to head out next weekend and hope to connect~!
    I howled as well numerous times. I have called them in howling before, but haven't managed to get them to come out of the timber. Tried moose and deer calls to suck them in with no luck.
    Live to Hunt...

My last stand. Happened a little while back .I had 1 day to go hard , and the wind was my enemy . But had to push , last chance. I ran the call , set after set nothing , except wind and then blowing snow, whiteout. While changing spots I caught a glimpse of a grey wolf , I carried on down the rd and parked the truck . Did a long set with female vocals then male challenge then pup distress. Hung around there for about 1 hr , nothing , wind was headed right to it and I new I didn't have a chance but gotta try . So noticed a trail leading to an opening many kms away. Would be my last stand . 10 mins into jack distress I notice a yote coming in , As soon as he got to the top of a hill he cowered down , scented or seen me ? Then disappeared . I thought that was it . I ran female vocals , nothing ,then onto pup distress and hes coming back hard and fast , until he met 55 grains from my 22-250 . The last stand was a success . I look forward to next year . Hopefully with some new gear also .

Lonewolf you will be asleep in that turkey lounger you bought. But me shooting will wake you up
    JB flang is my hero.

Moose guide infamous quote.
    "when you shoot em just right their feathers go puff"

Nicely done! Thanks for taken some out guys!
    ~Wes