Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Hunt

Re: My First Hunt

I dont recommend challenging. There's a lot of good info that can be had thats not in the book. You cant ask a book questions. Your core intructor will be able to direct to lots of resources that the book will not.

Plus its a good way to hook up with other new hunters.

If you were an oldtimer hunter who let his hu ting stuff laps then maybe you should challenge but newbs really should put aside the time to do it right.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

How long have you been in Alberta for ?

I have never hunted before this will be my first hunt.

Best,

Jackstay

I agree with not challenging the exam. I have considered it before but decided against it for the reasons buck nash stated. It's really helpful to have an instructor to talk to about it and ask questions you can't ask a book.

I still have a lot more questions to ask but will get my answer in time.

My other concern is how long you've been in Alberta for and if you were considered a resident in Alberta. If that's the case, you might not be able to start hunting this season. I believe you might have to wait for 6 months until you become a "official resident of BC" but I am not 100% sure on that.

This was why I asked as well. From the sounds of it he will not be eligible for a hunter number until a 6 month period of residence is up.

Quote Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
    This was why I asked as well. From the sounds of it he will not be eligible for a hunter number until a 6 month period of residence is up.
    Does this mean I cannot hunt when I move to Vancouver in October?

I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with Dylan Eyers at EatWild (http://www.eatwild.ca). He organizes workshops on hunting, shooting, butchering, orienteering, etc. as well as all the necessary courses that you might need to pass to satisfy government requirements (if you haven't already). It's a great group of people, many of them in the same boat as you. In fact, there's a hunter skills workshop scheduled for early October plus a shooting skills workshop a couple of weeks later. This program is exactly what you're looking for.

member of the Canadian Armed Forces enrolled in continuing full-time military service is eligible to obtain a HUNTER NUMBER after making his/her permanent residence in BC for 30 days immediately before applying for the licence/HUNTER Number. Proof of hunter safety training is a pre-requisite.

Synopsis, page 6

James

Reading back, not sure if you are in the Navy now... If so that snip-it above applies
    Last edited by Phoneguy; 09-03-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Send me a PM after you move. We can hit the range in Squamish and discuss the CORE and some hunting options.

If you can get a copy of the CORE manual ahead of time it will be time well spent, whether you challenge the exam or take the course.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Send me a PM after you move. We can hit the range in Squamish and discuss the CORE and some hunting options.

If you can get a copy of the CORE manual ahead of time it will be time well spent, whether you challenge the exam or take the course.
    I will most certainly do that. Thank you very much for the invitation.

Best,

Jackstay