Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Raw Food Diet

Re: Raw Food Diet

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post

This is the CHICKEN BLEND

12%protein 10% Fat

Our chicken is sourced locally here in the lower mainland. Free range brown hens and layers. .
    Blends are complete with
    80% muscle meat
    10% bone ground bone
    5% liver
    5% offal including brain.

I am not hardcore RAW. Feed your dogs what ever works for them and you.
    I have fed every kibble known to mankind. LOL My crew can not eat protein kibble over 25% or they get the runs. 30% and their insides would be raw.... Lardy spoke about feeding when he was here so I do know his views on feeding

If I had big dogs or human kids in the house still, I couldn't afford to feed raw. Kibble is definitely cheaper. The jury is out on which one is "better".

Raw works for my three right now.

funny ... my husky/shepard gets the runs from to much raw. Gets them bad to ... I like to mix about %25 raw into veryhigh end Kibble “ that took us 4 brands to find” because lots of kibble gives him other issues.

really does depend on what works for your individual dog. My dog craps are big and healthy looking, took us a while to figure him out though. Trial and error on each dog is my two cents
    Last edited by Chopper; 11-09-2017 at 01:54 AM.
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    funny ... my husky/shepard gets the runs from to much raw. Gets them bad to ... I like to mix about %25 raw into very high end Kibble “ that took us 4 brands to find” because lots of kibble gives him other issues.

really does depend on what works for your individual dog. My dog craps are big and healthy looking, took us a while to figure him out though. Trial and error on each dog is my two cents
    I've been told that you should never mix the two since they have entirely different digestive process rates although i have heard some people will do one meal of RAW and the other meal will be kibble without too many issues.

Surprised that your pooch has such big dumps because that's one of the big advantages of feeding raw ,,,,very small poops because there's no fillers and they don't need to drink very much water unlike what you get with any kibble.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I've been told that you should never mix the two since they have entirely different digestive process rates although i have heard some people will do one meal of RAW and the other meal will be kibble without too many issues.

Surprised that your pooch has such big dumps because that's one of the big advantages of feeding raw ,,,,very small poops because there's no fillers and they don't need to drink very much water unlike what you get with any kibble.
    That's the usual consensus on mixing kibble and raw. Some suggest when transitioning from one to the other, say moving from kibble to raw, that you slowly introduce the raw by mixing it with kibble.
    Agree with the "dump" comments, when our mutts are 100% raw and particularly with lots of bone, the dumps are small, compact and not messy at all. In a day or two the turds basically disintegrate.

The percentages in raw food analysis are 'as fed'. Kibble is also 'as fed' but raw is 80% ish moisture and kibble is 3%. So, if you want to really compare them nutritionally, you'd need to remove the moisture component from raw and get a dry matter analysis. Some raw food formulas include vegetable matter which would count as carbs but none compare to the amount of carbs in kibble. Definitely, higher protein and fat than the average kibble and because it isn't extruded under high heat, it's more bio-available and more easily processed by the dogs kidneys.

For those that can't afford to feed a strictly raw diet or don't want to for some reason, yes, you can mix kibble and raw. The old myth that goes round about not mixing them was what the kibble companies used to say to discourage people from feeding any raw food (and cutting into their market). Some of the most elite athletes in the canine world (racing sled dogs) are regular fed a mix of raw food and kibble. Dogs are physiologically designed to handle variety and no two items that they eat are going to digest at exactly the same rate, that is not an issue.
    ~Erin Lynes & the Eromit Labs

Quote Originally Posted by kinderdoggin View Post
    The percentages in raw food analysis are 'as fed'. Kibble is also 'as fed' but raw is 80% ish moisture and kibble is 3%. So, if you want to really compare them nutritionally, you'd need to remove the moisture component from raw and get a dry matter analysis. Some raw food formulas include vegetable matter which would count as carbs but none compare to the amount of carbs in kibble. Definitely, higher protein and fat than the average kibble and because it isn't extruded under high heat, it's more bio-available and more easily processed by the dogs kidneys.

For those that can't afford to feed a strictly raw diet or don't want to for some reason, yes, you can mix kibble and raw. The old myth that goes round about not mixing them was what the kibble companies used to say to discourage people from feeding any raw food (and cutting into their market). Some of the most elite athletes in the canine world (racing sled dogs) are regular fed a mix of raw food and kibble. Dogs are physiologically designed to handle variety and no two items that they eat are going to digest at exactly the same rate, that is not an issue.
    I find this input very interesting as my main objective in feeding is to give the very best I can.....regardless of cost. These dogs work extremely hard and deserve no less.

So here's the question..........

Based on what you said above will a regular meal of raw food provide the same amount of bioavailabe protein/fat as a regular meal of 28/18 kibble?

If you can provide some unbiased (if there is such a thing) scientific research with your response it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by labguy; 11-10-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post

There is actually charts with diagrams of what healthy sht looks like, if i feed my dog raw he shits through the eye of a needle. They say logs should be decent size and well formed and solid, not to hard, not to soft. Just nice healthy logs. My dogs coat is super healthy, think and soft, he no longer scratches or get hot spots. My vet just say's he is a very healthy 10 year old.

we adopted him at 5 years old, he had lots of skin issues, they gave us all kinds of drugs that were crap. It took me a year, but i got his food figured out and it all went away on its own. I wont be changing anything, i dont care what anyone says.

There is no one method that works for every dog ... period
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    I find this input very interesting as my main objective in feeding is to give the very best I can.....regardless of cost. These dogs work extremely hard and deserve no less.

So here's the question..........

Based on what you said above will a regular meal of raw food provide the same amount of bioavailabe protein/fat as a regular meal of 28/18 kibble?

If you can provide some unbiased (if there is such a thing) scientific research with your response it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    It should provide more bio-available protein and fat than such a kibble. I don't have a study that exactly addresses a direct comparison, but there are some studies that help support that statement with some logical inferences.

Here is one study that is pretty close to what you are looking for: https://peerj.com/articles/3019/

This one is strictly about the effect of cooking on the structure of protein and digestibility: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2081988

These are about specific amino acids which are reduced or degraded in commercial diets compared to raw food diets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26530877
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9160426
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/...on;136/7/1998S

None of these are exactly what you were asking for I realize, but hopefully help explain the difference in digestibility to a degree and then if you add in the fact that a regular raw diet does not contain an abundance of carbohydrates, you're getting more protein and fat for your dog on that alone. If I get time I'll do a little more searching... but I hope this helps.
    ~Erin Lynes & the Eromit Labs

T
    Quote Originally Posted by kinderdoggin View Post
    It should provide more bio-available protein and fat than such a kibble. I don't have a study that exactly addresses a direct comparison, but there are some studies that help support that statement with some logical inferences.

Here is one study that is pretty close to what you are looking for: https://peerj.com/articles/3019/

This one is strictly about the effect of cooking on the structure of protein and digestibility: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2081988

These are about specific amino acids which are reduced or degraded in commercial diets compared to raw food diets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26530877
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9160426
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/...on;136/7/1998S

None of these are exactly what you were asking for I realize, but hopefully help explain the difference in digestibility to a degree and then if you add in the fact that a regular raw diet does not contain an abundance of carbohydrates, you're getting more protein and fat for your dog on that alone. If I get time I'll do a little more searching... but I hope this helps.

It does help and I appreciate it, thanks. It will take me some time to thoroughly read and digest the information you provided but from a quick skim read it appears the raw diet camp is on the right track.

The biggest problem for me is the logistics of traveling for months with three dogs and being able to refrigerate that quantity of food.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    T
    The biggest problem for me is the logistics of traveling for months with three dogs and being able to refrigerate that quantity of food.
    There are a number of dehydrated raw food products available that might be of use for such circumstances.
    We've used for camping, "emergency" rations at the cabin and for day to day use.
    No refrigeration required and way lighter in weight than canned or kibble.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    There are a number of dehydrated raw food products available that might be of use for such circumstances.
    We've used for camping, "emergency" rations at the cabin and for day to day use.
    No refrigeration required and way lighter in weight than canned or kibble.
    Thanks...I'll look into that...