View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    I'm in the phase of taking the Junior BEFORE he is allowed to hunt the junior hunt. He will learn a heck of a lot before he is allowed to hunt them on his own tags. I do look forward to him pulling the trigger. I am glad that he has a chance at them. Sept-Nov. What a blessing to have so much time and so many unique seasons. We all have reason to celebrate this fact.

upload a photo online
    And there you go! Taking them out, spending time with them and teaching them their whole life is what it's all about because it's a lifestyle. I'ts not just Sept 10 - Dec 10. It's not just "I'll take them out for the youth season." It's taking every available minute to spend time with them and instilling proper values. By the time they are 10 years old, the only thing they haven't done is pull the trigger. Youth seasons have nothing to do with it.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last year, Thanksgiving long weekend, on our way to my daughters doe draw.
    Drove to beat hell, stopped for the night on our way to our destination, got up the next morning and looked out...

It was a legal buck and I had a tag. Little too far for my daughter to take a poke at it. There was also a main dirt road somewhere through the trees and I would have been shooting straight across it.
    I also really didn't want to mess up her hunt.

With more negatives than positives, I let that guy go with the only shots fired being the ones from the camera.

Bringing up the road in the background and passing on this buck has made the kids more aware of their target and beyond.

I had my first, and last youth season this year as I am 17. I did get a buck, but I will openly admit I missed at another deer.

Great picture

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    And there you go! Taking them out, spending time with them and teaching them their whole life is what it's all about because it's a lifestyle. I'ts not just Sept 10 - Dec 10. It's not just "I'll take them out for the youth season." It's taking every available minute to spend time with them and instilling proper values. By the time they are 10 years old, the only thing they haven't done is pull the trigger. Youth seasons have nothing to do with it.
    great picture

My son turns 10 in January.
    Im super excited to help him learn how to hunt as best I can.
    It wont be, blast the first thing we see.
    I currently have a full freezer so we are not shy on venison right now.

He came with me this year on a trip and we got into a pack of howling wolves chasing some elk.
    He heard the first howl and alerted me.
    "Dad, you here that?"
    I just happened to have the fox pro with me and we called the pack in with their howls getting louder and louder.
    My boy and i hid behind an enbankment with my 22-250 in hand. We scanned the timber edge in hopes one would show, and break cover, but they did not.
    "What do you think of that son?"
    "Wow dad, that was intense."

Looking forward to teaching my little man the best I can.
    I promised him, id get him a shoulder mount for his very first, so I wanna make it count the best we can.

Am I correct in thinking that the youth season is also open to those with a youth license and using the supervising parent's tags? That is to say, they haven't passed the core and don't have their full license yet.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

You are correct

Great way to get youth interested and involved.

That said, lots bitch that it's not youth doing a lot of the harvest. That's sad if true.

But ...... That's where we need more COs afield to catch prick poachers shooting on youth only season when they lawfully can't.
    This needs to be policed more. But what doesn't.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

How about this. How hard would it be that once the little guy/gal has bagged their first buck in youth season, however many years it takes, then they've fulfilled our communal wish that they get their first deer and now they can join the rest of us in looking for four points until October (I'm in Region 8 ). When the CO pulls people over he already knows everything about everyone with his computer. He looks up little junior's name, ahh, junior got their youth buck 2 years ago, no more youth season for junior. Done. I don't think the youth season is intended for dad (and the youth) to fill his freezer every year with easy young mulies for 7 years per kid.... just my two cents
    Last edited by mauserman; 09-27-2021 at 03:30 PM.