Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to hype up some bear hunters..

Re: Time to hype up some bear hunters..

I've never hunted bear, not that fond of the meat and the Wife has no desire to eat it.
    Son loves bear hunting and has been quite successful and I thought I would join him, not necessarily to bag one but just to be along with him on the hunt.
    So, just to be safe I go on line to renew my lisc and get tags and it won't accept my sign on so now I have to phone in tomorrow.
    Maybe my bear hunt is doomed from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    I've never hunted bear, not that fond of the meat and the Wife has no desire to eat it.
    Son loves bear hunting and has been quite successful and I thought I would join him, not necessarily to bag one but just to be along with him on the hunt.
    So, just to be safe I go on line to renew my lisc and get tags and it won't accept my sign on so now I have to phone in tomorrow.
    Maybe my bear hunt is doomed from the start.

sounds like you’re trying to give up before you even start it’ll all work out! Get out there and find a bear, save one of your favourite herbivores from being dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Interesting. I have no valid opinion ive never gave bear meat a honest try. Lots of people seem to like it =)
    Better go shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Interesting. I have no valid opinion ive never gave bear meat a honest try. Lots of people seem to like it =)
    We grind most of it for burgers, tacos, chilli, burritos. Tough to tell the difference between ground bear and high quality ground beef in my opinion.

Never tried hams, roasts, sausages, and things like that though.

Maybe I’ll try some smokies this year

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    I’ve eaten black and grizzly bear. Both were fine, but nothing I need to get all excited about. Spring is for turkeys! ��
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Love eating bear but I'm super selective and really take my time ensuring I don't shoot a mom with Cubs....but it's a great time of year to be out....hope to get one this spring with the recurve...

I’ve had a crappy sleep for the last 10 days. A bear keeps on wandering through the yard every couple of nights and the dog goes nuts.

Bloody bylaws....I could have two birds with one stone. Bear meat and a good nights sleep.

Yup the bears are out. Yawn!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    We grind most of it for burgers, tacos, chilli, burritos. Tough to tell the difference between ground bear and high quality ground beef in my opinion.

Never tried hams, roasts, sausages, and things like that though.
    I find the grind kind of stringy, gives it a weird texture. It does make great summer sausages and pepperoni. Great hams too. Just smoked my last quarter from last years bear last week end.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    I find the grind kind of stringy, gives it a weird texture. It does make great summer sausages and pepperoni. Great hams too. Just smoked my last quarter from last years bear last week end.
    That's looks amazing! Quite fitting for the topic of this thread, "time to hype up some bear hunters". If that picture doesn't do it, I don't know what will

I would really like to try doing something more with bear meat (other than ground) one of these days. Smoking isn't currently an option.

I do think I know what you mean by "stringy" with regard to ground. Sometimes I find it to have a more fibrous or even grainy texture compared to beef, but not always. I was never really sure what to attribute that to (ie: cooking, bits of silverskin, or it's just how the meat is) ... I did find the more picky I am about trimming and what goes in the grinder, the better the texture is. Could be all in my head though.