Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon boats

Jon boats

Tell me about these boats as I don’t know a thing about them . What are the pros and cons of them as opposed to a typical aluminum 12 or 14 foot aluminum with a 9.9 hp .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jon boats

Stable for standing up & casting. Run shallow with a small outboard jet or a mud motor. Good for drifting shallow rivers too, the wide flat bottoms draft well.

Not as nice in choppy water, they’ll ride up every wave crest and hammer down in the trough.

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    Stable for standing up & casting. Run shallow with a small outboard jet or a mud motor. Good for drifting shallow rivers too, the wide flat bottoms draft well.

Not as nice in choppy water, they’ll ride up every wave crest and hammer down in the trough.
    x2 with Brom Van Bones
    Its perfect for fly fishing the smaller lakes but if anything slightly resembling a wind
    comes up... buckle up.
    Had a hella time on the Okanagan once when the swells came out of nowhere.

Pros: lightweight( easy to sling in a truck bed or on roof rack), flat bottom, can be inexpensive, great for small lakes and rivers.
    Cons: No good in high wind, rough water, not as durable as traditional aluminium

I have one of the Tracker 14' jon boats. Have had it for 12 years. I think mine weighs about 100lbs.

Need to be careful as the aluminium in the floor is pretty thin but for the $750 I paid for it I have no complaints. I usually use an electric trolling motor with mine but my 4hp merc scoots it along nicely. Like stated above, they can be sketchy in the wind or in any measurable chop.

I use mine for fishing local lakes and duck hunting in the salt marsh. Always take it camping with us and I can swim out of it. Quite stable for re-entry when pulling myself back in from the bow.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-26-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Depends on your intended use...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Pros: lightweight( easy to sling in a truck bed or on roof rack), flat bottom, can be inexpensive, great for small lakes and rivers.
    Cons: No good in high wind, rough water, not as durable as traditional aluminium

I have one of the Tracker 14' jon boats. Have had it for 12 years. I think mine weighs about 100lbs.

Need to be careful as the aluminium in the floor is pretty thin but for the $750 I paid for it I have no complaints. I usually use an electric trolling motor with mine but my 4hp merc scoots it along nicely. Like stated above, they can be sketchy in the wind or in any measurable chop.

I use mine for fishing local lakes and duck hunting in the salt marsh. Always take it camping with us and I can swim out of it. Quite stable for re-entry when pulling myself back in from the bow.
    Why do you say this?
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Anyone know if bass pro still had those tracker Jon boats?

been a few years since I’ve been there

Jon boats come in two different models, the flat bottom square nose or the modified V which handles the rougher water way better. Look them up and you’ll see the difference. My fly fishing boat is a 1448MV, so 14’ long 48” bottom 70” beam with a 20hp Merc on it. Great stable platform for a multitude of uses whether your fishing, hunting or just enjoying the water. Typical bottom thickness range from 0.070 to 0.100. Depending on your intended use, there are many different sizes to choose from.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Anyone know if bass pro still had those tracker Jon boats?

been a few years since I’ve been there
    Last time I was out there they still had some.

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Why do you say this?
    Lol, meant to write "Stable"