Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    They want to keep reg3 a muley stronghold....
    I'm about done with the stupid on this thread, so if some of you white tail haters can give me an honest answer I'll just go away.
    As I see it everybody is worried about mule deer and killing off the white tail will help solve the problem it's working fantastic in region 3.
    So here's the question if it's working so well in region 3, what should the bag limit for white tail be increased to in regions 4 and 8. Look at the numbers you will want the white tail population down to less than 7000.
    I assume you would also want the season length increased to 3 months and 10 days, like region 3.
    I'm really looking for the answers from FD and his Okanagan choir boys.

I would like to see open season for rifle wt extended to dec.10, it's open for bow in region 8 from dec.1-20 but I'm a lousy bow hunter. Seen the biggest rat tail I've ever seen during that time but was out of range. After dec.10 I've seen numerous mature bucks missing headgear so I say shut er down the 10th all together...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I would like to see open season for rifle wt extended to dec.10, it's open for bow in region 8 from dec.1-20 but I'm a lousy bow hunter. Seen the biggest rat tail I've ever seen during that time but was out of range. After dec.10 I've seen numerous mature bucks missing headgear so I say shut er down the 10th all together...
    I am sorry but really you want change because you’re skills are lacking with archery gear(even with Xbow allowed)

You have a really long rifle season giving a ton of opportunity and open during the rut which increases avialible tactics and lowers bucks caution level. No matter the weapon I would take the rut over late season

If you want to improve your skills ask away. Truth of the matter is if you use the right tactics with WT range is not an issue their flaws in their habits can easily be exploited

Your issue is a tactic issue not a season issue want to improve your skills start a thread and ask or be friend a mentor with close range WT skills

Knowledge is free

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I'm about done with the stupid on this thread, so if some of you white tail haters can give me an honest answer I'll just go away.
    Don't think anyone here is a whitetail hater. In fact, most of us love hunting them and realize there is absolutely zero conservation concern around hunting them even under extremely liberal seasons (which we don't even have). The antlerless season is one of the most under-utilized hunts in the entire province.

It might not be like the "good old days" but there are whitetail almost everywhere and in good numbers. It's time you guys stopped pushing for useless season restrictions and start focusing on things that will actually make more wildlife.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Don't think anyone here is a whitetail hater. In fact, most of us love hunting them and realize there is absolutely zero conservation concern around hunting them even under extremely liberal seasons (which we don't even have). The antlerless season is one of the most under-utilized hunts in the entire province.

It might not be like the "good old days" but there are whitetail almost everywhere and in good numbers. It's time you guys stopped pushing for useless season restrictions and start focusing on things that will actually make more wildlife.
    If you really read my last post my suggestion should result in a whole bunch more opportunity.
    If you don't think there are whitetail haters on here go back and look at some of the older white tail threads.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    If you really read my last post my suggestion should result in a whole bunch more opportunity.
    If you don't think there are whitetail haters on here go back and look at some of the older white tail threads.
    You mean posts where they are called 'dinky dog rat deer' or posts saying 'keep mule deer country mule deer country' Please don't confuse sarcasm and humour as hatred. I have hunted whitetail my whole life and will continue to do so. They are both fun and tastey. Just takes a lot more of them to refill a freezer versus muleys.

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post

I can assure you that there are indeed many areas of Region 3 where they are not in good numbers and are indeed struggling. The wolves have been just as hard on them as they have been on the muleys and the moose. Fawn recruitment being the biggest issue. If you actually spend some time looking at this time of year and all you see is mature does in a group or alone, you know you have an issue. We have pretty much stopped hunting cow And calf moose in these same areas. The mule deer doe LEH numbers have also seen a steady decline in allocations available each year. Sooo, why would we continue to allow a GOS on 2 whitetail does in the same areas? And Blacklab has a very valid point. If it is ok to have a GOS on 2 whitetail does where they are struggling (Region 3) why would it not be ok to have a GOS on 2 whitetail does where they are supposedly not struggling (Region 4 and 8 ) ? I just look at the compaining over the Interior Mule deer baglimit. It is looked as lost hunter opportunity and those in Region 3 are accused of as being Nimbys but....would it not make sense to counter the lost opportunity with a gained opportunity? If Region 8 has so many whitetails that are doing great, why not open them up like the current Region 3 seasons. 3 months and 2 deer baglimit (buck or doe) ? Would this not counter the over crowding issues that plague other Regions when 8 shuts down it's mule deer seasons super early? Wouldn't this keep hunters hunting their own back yards making 'meat' more economical? Would not hunters have a better hunting experience. And would not we be getting hunters utilizing a species that science says can withstand the added presure?
    Last edited by dana; 01-20-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    You mean posts where they are called 'dinky dog rat deer' or posts saying 'keep mule deer country mule deer country' Please don't confuse sarcasm and humour as hatred. I have hunted whitetail my whole life and will continue to do so. They are both fun and tastey. Just takes a lot more of them to refill a freezer versus muleys.
    Oh there is those who truly hate WT in BC and blame them for mule deer issues lol. But lots of hunters are like yourself Dana that appreciate them but just like your mule deer

But there is also guys like myself who truly enjoy WT and see the positive side effects long term for BCs WT.

Might actually see our little BC WT gain weight over years of evening out ratios

Study out of SC state shows some interesting results on WT when ratios improve. Results after years of taking the average weight of WT bucks, does, and fawns the average weight noticeable increased.

There is also data showing stronger fawns and increased survival rate from improved ratios

There is perks to the doe harvest when it comes to overall health long term

Some of us who truly enjoy WT hunting support part of this management for a reason

BCs management theory on why WT doe harvest maybe a program that has a record of failing to improve mule deer numbers but it has a positive side effects for WT that are well studied and proven.

Region 3 season is not intended to manage WT as a game species it’s about trying to prevent them establishing stronger populations

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Region 3 season is not intended to manage WT as a game species it’s about trying to prevent them establishing stronger populations
    The thing missing in that management theory is it further leads to a complete erradication of a species that belongs here just as much as any other species. We basically managed moose the same way in an effort to save mountain caribou. What happened? We have pretty much lost both the caribou and the moose. The plan of starving out the wolves failed miserably. So why not learn from that? Nope, carry on by trying to save mule deer by over harvesting whitetails. Does no one see the epic fails are just continuing? So what we have happening is a complete erradication of all species in certain areas of this province and we are good with that? Seriously? Hunter conservationalist eh?