Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of buck is a big BC buck?

What kind of buck is a good BC buck?

So I grew up hunting casually and since I was about 21 ( the last 6 years) I’ve really committed myself to hunting mule deer. I am 100% a meat hunter and I’ve taken the first legal buck that presented itself on all my hunts. I’ve filled the freezer every year with one or more bucks and I’ve put down a couple pretty nice bucks (at least I think they are nice).

What is a good BC buck? It is hard to judge when there so many farmed private ranch fed deer pictures out there. Some of those bucks don’t even seem real.

Here’s my 3 favourite bucks. Are these big bucks or just average bucks? I know there not monsters by any means I’m thinking there fairly average nice 4 points.
    Yes I know the one is a blacktail.

https://i.imgur.com/39iT1CT.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/xn2DwtB.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/zx94c5h.jpg
    Last edited by luger; 09-15-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What kind of buck is a big BC buck?

Not very big, they are fine bucks but not something I would even consider as big

If the Blacktail was a Vancouver Island buck I’d say it was pretty big. Do they get bigger...sure. But I hunted them for 30 years straight and it would be tough to beat for a Island buck. Mainland though...it’s a good buck but not what I’d consider “Big”.

The two Muley’s while being nice bucks and not close to being “Big” in my opinion.

Don’t let it get you down though, all 3 are great bucks and really good bucks when you consider you really haven’t been hunting that long.

For not targeting big deer, those are decent bucks. They are not large BC mule deer antler wise but generally of you want a monster you need to put in the time and be willing to not shoot the first, second or even the 10th legal buck you see...may take many many years to harvest a truly mature large buck. But for meat hunting you are doing extremely well and I would be happy with any of those fine deer. Great job.

Thanks
    Blacktail is a mainland buck.
    Average is what I figured, there great for me as they filled the freezer and they look pretty on the wall.

They are nice bucks. If you look at the BC Big Game Records book you will see that when it comes to mulies this province produces BIG mulies. Peace river country produces some big whitetails.Mainland BC some decent blacktails.

I’d be happy with any of those, but I think there are much bigger ones out there if you choose to only go for bigger ones. The bonus here, is that the smaller ones usually taste better.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Thanks, the big game record is nice to give a point of reference. I do wonder how many days in the bush does it take a guy passing up bucks to score a record buck.

Quote Originally Posted by luger View Post
    Thanks, the big game record is nice to give a point of reference. I do wonder how many days in the bush does it take a guy passing up bucks to score a record buck.
    30 years of hunting mule deer and my name isn't in the book. Dosen't mean I haven't had the opportunity sometimes the stars just don't quite align.

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    30 years of hunting mule deer and my name isn't in the book. Dosen't mean I haven't had the opportunity sometimes the stars just don't quite align.
    Same here. I’ve shot a couple respectable bucks but they didn’t go book. But, I’ve seen a few that would and that’s what keeps a guy looking...