Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rats?

Hunting Rats?

Well, more like trapping them... Seems we are getting more and more rats in BC, Kamloops specifically. We've had them in our garden and now the wife thinks there's one in the house. I've never had any issues getting mice, whether the old wooden traps or the bucket with popcan, but neither of these seem to have worked for the rats outside either at my place or my dads place. I have 2 dogs that love catching and killing them but the rats give them the slip too. Anyways, cause of the dogs and what not I'd prefer not to use poison and if I use any "open" traps I will need to be careful where I place them not to catch a nosy dog or have them find a dead rat to eat should it actually catch something.

Anyone have any luck trapping/killing them? Any tips/suggestions on traps or bait that actually work for rats? I'm not opposed to a live trap and dispatching them myself if it saves the dogs nose/toes or keeps them from eating them or if the work better than the killing traps.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Rats?

Peanut butter for bait

i used to use a live trap and drown them in a 5 gallon pail,peanut butter works great for bait

There are some ingenous rat trap videos on youtube.

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I have a Victor Smart-kill electronic trap. It is battery powered and will use wi-fi notification (if you have coverage where you place it) to report the zapping. Available at CT and Buckerfields.
    Not cheap but it works.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Best way I have found is to put dry instant potatoes in a bowl and place inside a length of stove pipe. Rats love potatoes and will
    eat up the dry stuff, he drinks water and the spuds expand, only thing is a rat can not regurgitate so he bloats and dies and is safe
    for other animals to eat. Old school but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by robert05 View Post
    Best way I have found is to put dry instant potatoes in a bowl and place inside a length of stove pipe. Rats love potatoes and will
    eat up the dry stuff, he drinks water and the spuds expand, only thing is a rat can not regurgitate so he bloats and dies and is safe
    for other animals to eat. Old school but it works.
    Years ago my dad told this way except the ending was explosive according to him.

Hi Russ, Love to contribute on the trapping bit, but had the most success with a Mother/Son Maine Coon's team that cleaned up my 100+ year old barn full in less than a month. When we moved in the barn was full of all sorts of vermin mostly rats. We tried every kind of trap in the book and eventually followed our farmer neighbors advice. Maine Coon's are killing machines - especially when competing lol, also they grow big winter coats and can manage themselves outside for some temperature. But alas your dogs
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Rat zapper plus from amazon with all the leaf lickers composting the rat problem is on the rise been here for forty years Rats are now a frequent problem

Like linksman313 just picked up a rat terrier