Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast

Thread: My 2013

Re: My 2013

There's a few days left in the year, so I figured I'd add a little update before burying this thread.

Because we were both feeling so lazy today, OSW and I took the dogs out for a hike. We made the decision to check the trail cam that I'd been out to on the last day of archery season. There's was tons of deer tracks all over in front of the camera and only two new pictures. Somehow I must have altered the settings when I checked it on the 20th. Sensitivity was inadvertently set to low.

Anyway, after dragging our fat, lazy asses a kilometer to the camera, we somehow summoned up the energy to hike a little further to see if we could spot some deer. My new Zeiss binos started earning their keep right away as I quickly noticed a doe and fawn bedded in the regen about 400 yards away. I think I'm gonna like the new glass.

As we turned to head back along a different route, we noticed a couple of ravens hanging around not far off the trail. It didn't take the dogs long to figure out what the birds were there for..

This young fawn (buck) must have recently fallen victim to the local coyote population. It was an unfortunate discovery, but we decided to make use of the find in order to start our own winter predator quest.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Because we are completely lazy, and don't really know anything about how to hunt, we decided to drag the fawn the kilometer back to the truck. We then loaded it, along with some moose and deer bones that were stinking up my cooler for the last month, into the SSgoatguy and then dragged it another kilometer to a spot we think we might be able to ambush some coyotes this winter.

A couple hours later, we had a pretty good "station" set up:

I'm pretty keen to see what shows up on this camera. Could be anything from ravens to eagles to coyotes, bobcats or wolves. It will be fun to see what the intel teaches us..

Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

A bird we saw along the way: (my research says it's a snow bunting)

Sign that the whitetails are digging up food from under the snow:

Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

Proof that kids and bow hunters missed one:

A picture clicked of a jiggly video:

Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

Hey Coach nice Toboggan think the "owner" was looking for it the other day ............
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

you would have thought that the yotes would have done a lot more damage to that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by knockturnal View Post
    you would have thought that the yotes would have done a lot more damage to that little guy.
    Agree - hard to know if it was 'yotes or not. Ass was chewed pretty good - not sure ravens could have done that. With our three dogs running around it was difficult to figure the tracks out.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Hey Coach nice Toboggan think the "owner" was looking for it the other day ............
    He should have known. I texted him about it. My body was frozen and my mind was numb (even more than usual) after my last day in the blind. Completely forgot the deer wagon was in the box of my truck.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

He should have known. I texted him about it. My body was frozen and my mind was numb (even more than usual) after my last day in the blind. Completely forgot the deer wagon was in the box of my truck.
    Humm was that before or after Cocktails and Debriefings ?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Humm was that before or after Cocktails and Debriefings ?
    No cocktails that night.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach