Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Black Bear Tips

Re: Spring Black Bear Tips

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Great info everyone. Thank you!

The boar I was intending to target is a big boy with that articulating walk you mentioned.

If I am trying to manage the bear population around these elk, should I leave the boar or target a sow?
    Hmmm I would harvest a ADULT sow IF I COULD BE ASSURED SHE HAD NO CUBS..Hmm mm unfortunately you can't reliably do that with a certainty.
    So I would go after the large boar..and you might run into another medium boar in the meantime or in the process.
    I guided for trophy blacks and the criteria on guided black was 6 foot boar.colored phased bears could be slightly smaller but must be over 5 1/2 feet.
    We have very liberal quotas as resident hunters..however I still maintain shooting boars...as sows may have cubs 20 feet up a tree 20 yards back..boars won't. They consider cubs Scooby-Doo snacks..
    Any boar over 5 1/2 feet is good to go.
    Remer with bear meat..strategy is open it up..get the hide off..guts out..cool the meat..be especially picky and careful..get all the fat off.rendered down..finest pastry fat around..great waterproofing for boots..repels water and battery acid..oils..was highly coveted by railworkers for their boots.
    Finally don't shoot if you don't have uses for the meat.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Lots of great info here.
    My 2 cents, shoot them up hill, much easier to recover.

Steven when you say a 6 foot bear are you saying from nose tip to tail .?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Steven when you say a 6 foot bear are you saying from nose tip to tail .?
    Arctic Lake
    Hmm mm yes nose to tail...
    Bears are almost always wider then they are long..add width plus length divided by 2 gives you the square..
    I am talking just length of bear..no I don't include length of tail..lol
    Cheers
    Steven
    Ps. Make sense ?

Hmm mm IF you REALLY pull on a hide..you can turn a 6 foot bear into a 7 .5 foot bear..but it will only be 21 inch wide ..lo
    I remove the hide lay it out on flat ground pull from nose just till assume end starts to move..measure..
    Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 03-10-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Yes makes sense Thank You for the information ! Arctic Lake QUOTE=srupp;2156557]Hmm mm yes nose to tail...
    Bears are almost always wider then they are long..add width plus length divided by 2 gives you the square..
    I am talking just length of bear..no I don't include length of tail..lol
    Cheers
    Steven

Ps. Make sense ?

Hmm mm IF you REALLY pull on a hide..you can turn a 6 foot bear into a 7 .5 foot bear..but it will only be 21 inch wide ..lo
    I remove the hide lay it out on flat ground pull from nose just till assume end starts to move..measure..
    Steven[/QUOTE]
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I've seen a few mention Mid May as being the time to go. I would be interested in hearing a few recommendations on good locations as well.

I've been skunked last couple years mostly due to working my butt off and not being able to get out in the right time and not having any decent locations to try.

Quote Originally Posted by cjensan View Post
    I've seen a few mention Mid May as being the time to go. I would be interested in hearing a few recommendations on good locations as well.

I've been skunked last couple years mostly due to working my butt off and not being able to get out in the right time and not having any decent locations to try.
    It''s different different areas. I know on the island bears are out earlier than interior bears
    Last edited by warnniklz; 03-11-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjensan View Post

Hmmm Warren makes a really good point, very valid..from a exec lent hunter from great family of hunters. .I learned a lot about bears from Warren Gramps Ed..
    I have shot Lots of bears on mothers day. I was out last few years end of April till May 10 when I change gears and fly fish for massive rainbows on flies.
    Any remote area further than 15 kilometers from Williams lake works..any direction. Elevation plays a important part..as days go by head further up in elevation. .seeking fresh new growth light green grass.June is rut. .big bears make silly decisions however hides are usually toast..but meat quality has improved.
    Really can't think of a bad place in Caribou. .Hmmm last 2 years helped members get 5 bears around here..
    I find that take a truck onto remote forestry service roads..then use a ATV....to get back from roads into more remote areas..then sit and glass.
    Biggest mistake I see year after year is stinking up an area by repeatable walking through the area.get an elevation advantage.sit and glass.patience.
    Just thinking..3 of best areas for black bear..Warren Gramps shared with me..
    Best single day of black bear hunting..was with my identical twin brother..seen 40 bears in one day.harvested an amazing Farrah Fawcett blond black bear.
    Cheers
    Srupp

seems to be trending towards a more spot n stalk hunt - anyone go about it differently? still hunting slowly through some areas, or a more ambush/blind setup with calls?

i'll be starting my deer scouting about bear season opener. will keep a tag handy

Quote Originally Posted by Liptugger View Post
    Lots of great info here.
    My 2 cents, shoot them up hill, much easier to recover.
    great advice.